Sunday, August 23, 2015

A finish at last....

After all the medical drama I've been going through these last months.....resulting in major surgery on July 28th...... it's no wonder that my Creative Muse took a hike out the door.....LOL

I'm glad to say she has come back. Hopefully for good.

I started this doll in May for a challenge at the Cloth Doll Artistry Facebook group.....

I used a pattern by Teresa Pietras called "Lilly: A Fantasy Rabbit".

She turned out better than I expected. I'm a bit out of practice. I just realized that this is the first complete doll I've made since August 1st last year. Sheesh!

I have a lot of half made dolls in progress and I really should get my act together and finish them.



I used a leftover scrap from a fat quarter for her torso and legs but I didn't have enough to make her skirt. The pattern calls for white tulle which I had but it didn't look right. I was sort of stuck and thought that I might have to go buy something. Since I'm trying to use up what I have that wasn't really an option I wanted to go for.

Then I found this small piece of sheer fabric which was the perfect colour. I couldn't believe my luck. I didn't remember using or buying this fabric ever and then I remembered. I won a blog giveaway in July 2012 and this fabric was part of that. I was just enough thank goodness.



Her blingy bracelet is made from a mesh trim that came in a roll. I bought it at Michael's. I think it was called Diamonds By The Yard.



It looks like it has a diamond in each little circle but it's an optical illusion. It has little hollow faceted depressions. 

It's really neat stuff and can be cut to whatever size you need. I used some on the top of her bodice and around her sleeves.

By the way. If you ever use feathered boa for hair DO NOT glue it on. OMG what a mess. I had to take it off and redo it. I had just enough left and I sewed it on with "invisible" thread which is a real pain to use too.

I think I'll call this doll Diamond.

Take care:)

13 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Diamond is a very appropriate name. She turned out great. I love her color and even though that boa was a pain, her hair is superb. She's wonderful.
xx, Carol

Mary Ann said...

Thank you Carol:)

The Stitch Fiddler said...

She's gorgeous, you did a wonderful job. "Diamond" is a pretty Fantasy Rabbit. After everything you've been through, I hope it made you feel good to finish such a lovely doll.

Jo Ferguson said...

The name is perfect for such beautiful girl. I have that same trim. You've given me even more ideas for using it.

Linda said...

She is beautiful, you did a fantastic job! Warm greetings from Montreal. :)

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Mary Ann, she is gorgeous, love her! And the sheer fabric is a perfect match, what a great find. Don't you love that 'jeweled' trim? I have it in several colours and it is so versatile, I've even cut out the individual 'jewels' and trimmed off the mesh threads to use here and there on projects, love the bracelet you created with them! Can't wait to see more of your WIP's completed, I've missed your beautiful doll! Deb xo

Shashi Nayagam said...

So good to see you blogging again. Hope you have recovered fully now but take it easy . Love your doll she is stunning. You certainly have not lost touch.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Diamond is beautifully done and as always your attention to details is wonderful! I especially like her boa hair. Glad that you are feeling better. Take good care of yourself.

Romona said...

She's so pretty Mary Ann. I'm so glad you're back to your doll making, I've missed seeing what you're making. I have some of that bling, it's wonderful stuff, really does look like diamonds. ;o))

BumbleVee said...

I can't believe I missed her finished!! Must have been sitting around whining about my own medical stuff..hahhaha.... sometimes you just gotta go underground for a bit to get yourself sorted out .... my arm is still giving me grief and I am trying the laser still... it's getting expensive at $90 a pop...

Love the colours you used ... and, oh...yeh.... boa....yikes! I even had a huge mess trying to glue mohair... it's all a mess with glue .... hahhahahha.... there will likely be some gluing on this babe I am now making ... but, I might hide it under a hat of some sort too.... we'll see how it goes. You know how things kind of change midstream.... .. it's always that way with dolls isn't it? ..

thanks for stopping by to check out my new gal...

Judys Lace Creations said...

What a beautiful girlMary Ann. Hope things are better now.Also glad you're blogging again.
Judy x

Ana Paula Formigoni said...

oh,amazing dol,full of details...first time i'm visiting you

Miranda Blur said...

Es maravilloso! felicidades Mary!