Friday, August 1, 2014

A Finish....

I finally finished one of the fairies from the online class I took with Paula McGee:)

This is a picture of Paula's fairy called Tansey Mae....
Source

I didn't have the same kind of supplies that Paula McGee used but that's okay. I improvised and used what I had in my stash. I was positive I had some of those tiny bird nests but I couldn't find them. They'll turn up eventually.

I also didn't make the wings that she gave directions for as they involved a wood burning tool and an open flame but they are kinda interesting. To be honest I was a bit leery about using a flame to burn anything because I burnt my hand a couple of weeks ago...ouch:(  Maybe one day.

Here is a picture of her finished fairy that she made along with us.....a radically different wing style from the original version.  Kinda dark and mysterious :)
Source

I designed my own wings instead and made them similiar to the ones in the original picture. I don't think Paula will mind.

I used some fabric that I had won in a giveaway in 2011 from Fabric Addictions.

The green on the left and the mauve beside it are both iridescent.

I'm not sure of it's composition but I wish I could find more. The colour changes depending on which way you hold it to the light...blue, green  or gold.....perfect fairy wing material.

So here she is.....she looks like an Irish fairy to me...maybe I should call her Shamrock.

She was very nervous about getting her picture taken.






I really enjoyed making her.

Take care:)


14 comments:

Dolores said...

She certainly does have an Irish air to her.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

LOVE her Mary Ann, I think Shamrock is a perfect name for her!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Now she is a fairy with attitude!! And most definitely Irish...you wouldn't call her cute, she'd probably kneecap you if you did, lol. But I LOVE her for that fact.
Hugs, LLJ xx

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Shamrock is her name for sure. She is very Irish and dare I say "cute"!
xx, Carol

Romona said...

She's cute to be sure.... ;o)) You were wondering about the fabric, is it perhaps organza. Our local fabric dept. has a range of organza colours and if you move them around in the light, you see the colours change. Check out organza, it's probably very close if not exactly what you won. And good on you winning that giveaway. ;o)

Jo Ferguson said...

I've heard that fairies can be very nervous about getting their pictures taken. They usually prefer not to be seen. She's definitely Irish. I adore the flower on her locks of red hair. She's a beauty.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Shamrock looks super cute Mary Ann and beautifully made. The flower in her hair looks great and I really like the green leggings you made for her.

The Stitch Fiddler said...

She's adorable and I enjoy the color combinations. I like what you did with the stockings.

BumbleVee said...

oh, she could SO be Shamrock...

Shashi Nayagam said...

I love fairies and yours is particularly adorable

Maddy Maddocks said...

They are lovely. I like how you have done the wings.

Mrs A. said...

I nearly missed this lovely fairy as I have been commenting on your other blog. I love her wings and that material. Hugs Mrs A.

Ghost Lily said...

Wow! Your fairies are beautiful. I love the red heads and their little outfits!
Amazing wings too! ;-)

Rhissanna said...

She's lovely! I had the good fortune to see Paula's fairies in person and they're delightful. I love yours and yes, she does look very Irish!