Thursday, July 10, 2014

CDA Colour Challenge - Fairy Tale Character - Red Riding Hood

Cloth Doll Artistry Color Block Challenge


So the idea was that you pick a colour chart that was provided...there were 48 charts to choose from in the end. They were in actual fact paint charts mainly from Sherwin Williams. Then you were to pick a Fairy Tale character and create a doll using the colours from the chart you picked. Sounds easy but it really wasn't. Some of the charts were all values of one colour such as all pinks or blues or grays. Then it was deciding on a fairy tale...some of them are pretty grim...no pun intended. I do completely understand that many were morality tales but eeeek. Rather difficult to portray in shades of pink.

In the end I chose this one......

Why did I choose this colour block? Well. I went through all my stash and I had a few bits that matched pretty well to these colours and I had an idea.

The swatch 156/12/0 looked to be sort of a brick red or mordant red maybe. Not the traditional bright red you'd associate with Red Riding Hood but I could totally see it matched with the greens I had.

I did a bit of research about Red Riding Hood before I started. It seems that the earliest version of the story is in French called Le Petit Chaperon Rouge published in 1697 by Charles Perrault.

I think the version we are most familiar with though is that of the Grimm's Fairy Tale called Rotk├Ąppchen or Little Red Cap that was published about 1812.


Source

I wondered where the whole image of the red hooded cape came from so I looked up the word Chaperon.

Chaperon is a term that refers to a hat or a head covering. I Googled and really couldn't find a female version of one but here is an example of a later male style. In a book on fashion history that I have it shows women wearing something similiar but without the long tail. The tail was a later development and is called a Liripipe. It has it's own bizarre fashion history:)

Hmmm...I can sort of see how the whole hooded cape idea came about.


So here is my version of Le Petit Chaperon Rouge.

I didn't make the challenge deadline but that's okay:) For some reason everything that could go wrong went wrong with this doll. It was totally ridiculous. Anyway after much pain and suffering she's done....thank goodness!!

I hope you like her.






14 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Another awesome creation! She is amazing, the details are incredible. But I want to know where you got the dinky little basket from?! It's cute :-)
LLJ xx

Starr White said...

Oh! She's gorgeous! Little Red Riding Hood is one of my favorites, and I love the colors too.

Enchanted Doll Maker said...

Sorry you didn't make the deadline for the challenge. Your doll is just lovely. It sounds like it was a fun challenge. She really came out beautiful.

Krystyna Bienias-Machowska said...

She looks wonderful.
I love her clothes.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Your doll is gorgeous! I am sorry that you did not make the deadline but as you say it is ok . You had a vision and you completed it that is what matters

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

She is lovely. And I appreciate the narrative on the history of the story. It was quite interesting. I never knew there was a version besides Grimm.
xx, Carol

Jan Conwell said...

Beautiful! Isn't it funny how limits can foster an increase in creativity? You'd think the opposite would be true...but somehow it begins to feel like a puzzle to be solved.

Susan said...

Hi Mary Anne oh my she is amazing. X:)

Sheryl S. said...

Another beautiful doll. Love the basket, vegetables look edible.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

She looks absolutely wonderful and you did a terrific job on making her and paying attention to all the details.

Jo Ferguson said...

I don't like her, at all. I'm madly in love with her. She's stunning and your eye for detail never ceases to amaze me.

Judys Fabrications said...

She was certainly worth all the frustration of things going wrong.You'd never know .She's lovely.

The Stitch Fiddler said...

She's looks amazing Mary Ann. I love her facial expression and the brown bustier is great! Another doll accomplished even though things went wrong, who would know?

Susan Elliott said...

I LOVE her! When I saw you'd stopped by my blog today, I ran right over to see all the what amazing dolls you'd made while I've been away. You haven't disappointed me! Your work is wonderful Mary Ann!