Monday, May 5, 2014

WIP - The Traveler

The head on this doll is very difficult to put together. I think I made five attempts before I had a head that looked half decent. Even then after I had done the soft sculpture of the face I had to do a little surgery to take out some stuffing.

The next step involved a second skin which gives you a nice smooth face. The first time I did one of Angela's dolls I didn't have the Clover iron that she suggests in her supply list. I do now and seriously this style of face is difficult without one. The iron helps to define the features and to smooth out the small creases you get at the edges of the face. I made this doll out of Kona cotton which was a bit heavy when it came to doing the second skin.

I also used Derwent Watercolour pencils this time and I much prefer them to Prismacolor pencils.

Here is Anya now. I have pinned on her head temporarily. I've wrapped a bit of fabric around her head to see what she will look like with hair.



A couple of people have suggested not putting the hair and hat on her and just leaving the scarf as they thought it suited better. What do you think?

I did a bit more stitching on the bottom of the coat...a bit more colour.


I also did a stem stitch along the front edge of the coat to finish it off.


I made up the baby carrier. I'm of two minds now whether I will add the baby to her back.  I'm not sure it will suit her....decisions.... decisions:)


Hopefully I will have her finished this week as I have two other projects in the works.
 
Take care:)




13 comments:

Jan Conwell said...

Beautiful! I'd love to try the Derwent pencils, but I've already bought the Prismacolor.

The Stitch Fiddler said...

Your doll is lovely and the hard work you put into it shows. Your talent keeps increasing with each doll. I think this is one of the best faces yet! She does look good with the head wrap...but I would try hair just by holding it up to her head and see what you like.

I'm with you in the decisions part, sometimes it's difficult to know what "looks best" for a doll.

The coat is gorgeous and I like the trim work around the front edge.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

She is looking terrific and you've done an awesome job on her face. The scarf does look very good and really suits her but what would she look like with the hair?

Enchanted Doll Maker said...

Her face is gorgeous, such a great job. And her coat is beautiful, so much work but well worth it. She is lovely. I think she would look better with hair, but you have to decide that. Lovely.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your face is lovely. The scarf looks very good with the way the doll is dressed. Maybe a few stray hairs peeking out, but I think I really do like the scarf. It gives her much more a an ethnic feel.
Lovely.

Hindustanka said...

Oh she is beautiful! I like her smile... Yes, she looks very nice with a kerchief, but may be red hair will look good too...

Krystyna Bienias-Machowska said...

What a nice face! I would leave her just as she is now wothout hair. She looks so natural.

Jo Ferguson said...

She has a wonderfully, serene expression. She looks lovely with the scarf but I think a few, soft wisps of hair might be nice. I'm not sure I'd add the baby either. The coat is too gorgeous to cover. I've been fascinated with each and every step. Thank you.

Rhissanna said...

Her face is wonderful! Glowing and happy and full of character! I'll have to look into getting a clover iron; everyone who has them swears by them. As for the hair, I love how much a wig transforms a doll. I'd love to see her with her hair.

Thank you for your sweetcomment on my doll blog.

BumbleVee said...

You got a beautiful face after all that work ...and I, too, love my Derwent coloured pencils....they're the best as far as I'm concerned...

Romona said...

Go with the scarf and forget the hair. You've done such a beautiful face why have anything in the way of seeing it... Good job, your perseverance paid off.... ;o)

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Her face is gorgeous Mary Ann and I've heard nothing but good things about Derwent water colour pencils, think I am going to have to invest in some! I think she is lovely with her scarf and can't wait to see if she ends up en famille or not!

J. Ann Firth said...

Her face is lovely! As for the scarf vs hair, lately my motto is, when faced with a choice, do both, would that work?