Monday, April 14, 2014

WIP - The Traveler - Anya and Baba

Week one covered making the doll body and the under and over skirts.

I decided to use the brown fabrics after all. I went looking for more pinky/purples but I didn't see anything that suited. My husband came along as he was driving. I don't drive and have no inclination to do so....long story. He patiently followed me through two huge fabric stores. I actually came out almost empty handed. I bought 1/2 meter of lining fabric.

I'm really trying to stick to using what is in my fabric stash:)
This is just a part of it.


Angela suggests using an upholstery fabric for the torso. I had a piece of denim type fabric that I bought years ago as a huge remnant for a couple of dollars. It's a perfectly good piece of fabric and I didn't see anything wrong with it when I bought it. Maybe the colour wasn't selling. Who knows?


I wasn't sure if it would work because it's very heavy. Turning it right side out was a struggle. I think it was a perfect choice.

Anya is quite a tall doll with a very graceful sillouette. She will be about 22 inches when she is finished.


Angela added some embroidery stitching to the skirt edge. My next step.


Looking much better...it's starting to hang in nice folds now.



The lesson this week is pretty intense. We have to do the first stage of the head, make the arms and dress the torso. Lots to do so I better get busy:)

Take care.

10 comments:

Jan Conwell said...

Wow. I LOVE that shape!

Judys Fabrications said...

Yes and the colours for the skirt are great.

Enchanted Doll Maker said...

She is coming along beautifully. I love the batiks. Can't wait to see more.

Patri Bears said...

Bellissimo progetto! Aspettiamo di vedere nuovi sviluppi per questa bambola
Patri

Shashi Nayagam said...

It is looking lovely. Angela's dolls are always so graceful

Jo Ferguson said...

I absolutely, positively adore your fabric and colour choices. She's going to be so elegant.

Mrs A. said...

Anya is looking so good already . Love that skirt . Just wish I had more time to get back into doll making. Hugs Mrs a.

The Stitch Fiddler said...

The fabric you used for the doll body is a good flesh color. You probably won't have to use the neck/shoulder cover (which I debated). I love your overskirt fabric choices and the skirt drapes well. Wonderful start Mary Ann.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

She is looking wonderful Mary Ann, so graceful!

BumbleVee said...

She's coming along nicely...

I got sent a Suzi Blu book and am drawing and trying some painting ..hahahha....