Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Which Witch.....??

I participated in a recent challenge over on Cloth Doll Artistry's Facebook page....


I decided to make a witch as I'd never made one before. I was going to make a pretty witch but then decided to make her with a few wrinkles and a double chin and a sorta wart.

She turned out very imperious looking....sort of the boss witch of the coven....LOL She gives me the impression that she's in charge and brooks no fooling around but I think I see a twinkle in her eye so she has a sense of humour:)


Not the best day to take pictures of something black:(


She's all cloth and is about 19 inches from the top of her hat to the tip of her toe.

She has her own book of spells, potions and recipes. The book was actually a favour from a Christmas cracker. It was red with a Santa on the front and I covered it with some fabric.


I originally gave her the name Goody which is a shortened form of Goodwife and was a polite form of address for women in Scotland, England and Colonial America and was particularly used for eldery women.  The title "Goody" was used in some of the court records in the Salem Witch Trial in 1692 and for me has always seemed appropriate for an eldery witch type person. .

However, the peanut gallery here said that she reminds them of Granny Weatherwax from the Discworld books by Terry Pratchette. Since I haven't read the books it was entirely coincidental.

So she remains a mystery woman at the moment until I decide on an appropriate name for her......Goody or Granny:)

Take care.



7 comments:

Starr White said...

I agree with you! She looks like she is equal parts mischief and magic :) Love her.

The Stitch Fiddler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Stitch Fiddler said...

It surprised me to know that you never made a Witch doll before. Well, you certainly did a remarkable job making her. I love her outfit the stripe bodice with the black lace collar. And of coarse I love the wrap she has over her shoulders...wool? I like the sound of Goody for some reason.

Enchanted Doll Maker said...

I like your witch. Her dimples make her look like a sweet older lady, but she has this other look that says don't cross me. She is definitely the boss!

Mrs A. said...

I most defiantly wouldn't want to cross her. I don't fancy being turned into a toad!! She is lovey a real Dame.
hugs Mrs A.

Rhissanna said...

Yes, I see Granny Weatherwax, too. She is lovely. That wart is a very clever touch!

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Oh Granny for sure, she is lovely Mary Ann! Deb