I had started an online class at the beginning of June with Angela Jarecki called Enkai Nou. I have finally finished my version of the doll.
Sorry these pictures are not the best. This mermaid was hard to photograph as she rather large and my point and shoot camera was a bit challenged. You can click on the picture and then click again to enlarge it:)
I used flesh coloured batik for her body...if you look you can see the variations of colour. I like using batik as it's a lot tougher that ordinary cotton and doesn't fray as much. I also used a batik for her tail.
I fussy cut some old lace curtains and dyed the "flowers" to match my fabric using Dye-na-flow. Those little bottles carry a big punch of colour. Just a drop or two will give lots to work with. I added the lace to her waist and to her fins.
The touches of glitter you see are actually from a glitter glue product called Pip-squeaks made by Crayola that I bought at the dollar store. I used the pink and white and painted it on with a brush. It dried clear and really adds just a tiny bit of sparkle.
Click to enlarge:)
This is the second class I've taken with Angela and I think I did a better job this time. I didn't like how my eyes turned out though. They were too flat so I added eyelids and eye lashes. I really think I was heavy handed with the watercolour pencils which didn't help. After the face dries it's hard and it's very different working on a hard fabric face compared to a soft fabric face.
Anyway that's all from me today. I do have another project I'm about to start....stay tuned:)
I'm joining The Needle and Thread Network...come on over and see what my fellow Canadians are up to this week:)