Sunday, September 1, 2013

I finished the mermaid:)

It's been awhile:) I have no idea what happened to August...it disappeared on me. My family and I have been working like crazy to get my brother's house ready to put it on the market. Hopefully it sells right away as I'm sick to death of that house....LOL Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful house but it seems to have taken over our lives.

I had started an online class at the beginning of June with Angela  Jarecki called Enkai Nou. I have finally finished my version of the doll.

Sorry these pictures are not the best. This mermaid was hard to photograph as she rather large and my point and shoot camera was a bit challenged. You can click on the picture and then click again to enlarge it:)




I used flesh coloured  batik for her body...if you look you can see the variations of colour. I like using batik as it's a lot tougher that ordinary cotton and doesn't fray as much. I also used a batik for her tail.


I fussy cut some old lace curtains and dyed the "flowers" to match my fabric using Dye-na-flow. Those little bottles carry a big punch of colour. Just a drop or two will give lots to work with. I added the lace to her waist and to her fins.


The touches of glitter you see are actually from a glitter glue product called Pip-squeaks made by Crayola that I bought at the dollar store. I used the pink and white and painted it on with a brush. It dried clear and really adds just a tiny bit of sparkle.


Click to enlarge:)



Her face was a challenge. You soft sculpture the face and then you cover it again by gluing your fabric over the face...a second skin. Not easy. The good thing is that if you don't like your first attempt you can remove it and try again. I found that Aleene's tacky glue worked best as a thin layer is all you need and it sets fast. It's important that it does so that the glue doesn't leak through your face fabric on to the surface of the face.

This is the second class I've taken with Angela and I think I did a better job this time. I didn't like how my eyes turned out though. They were too flat so I added eyelids and eye lashes. I really think I was heavy handed with the watercolour pencils which didn't help. After the face dries it's hard and it's very different working on a hard fabric face compared to a soft fabric face.



Anyway that's all from me today. I do have another project I'm about to start....stay tuned:)

I'm joining The Needle and Thread Network...come on over and see what my fellow Canadians are up to this week:)

Take care.

16 comments:

Meredith Lewis said...

She's so pretty! I love the colors of her tail and hair covering. How did you get her nose in a little point like that? Very inspiring :-)

Vicki Lee said...

You are being way too critical of her eyes. She is beautiful in everyway. I hope one day to make myself slow down and make dolls again. I love to look at what other's create and I do appreciate your talent!

Enchanted Doll Maker said...

She is beautiful. I love her face! I love the colors that you chose for her. Lovely!

Shashi Nayagam said...

She is beautiful and she has a very wise expression on her face

Ron Anger said...

She's wonderful!
The colors and materials are fantastic.
Beautiful work as every!

The Stitch Fiddler said...

She is truly lovely Mary Ann. Your work is beautiful. Love the little seashell she's holding too.

Hindustanka said...

The Mermaid is beautiful! I really like the color scheme you chose for her :)Awesome work!

Starr White said...

Your little mermaid is beautiful :)

Jeri Landers said...

I adore her face, it has such a kindness to it. I remember when my waist was that tiny... those were the days!

Kate said...

Wow, she is just lovely. You have done a wonderful job.

Jeanette said...

The details are wonderful-I love the glitter and dyed lace. Her tail is beautiful! Love the coral color you chose.

rtquilter said...

She's Gorgeous, Mary Ann! VERY glamorous! We have missed you! Nice to see your lovely work again.

BumbleVee said...

Ah, yes..... the second "skin" on a sculpted face...I remember it well..... my first one took hours to get in place.... the second .... still hours....I still never get rid of the wrinkles under the chin in spots... ended up snipping away some fabric and butt jointing the cut ends for an almost invisible seam. I was so proud of myself I almost thought about hanging out my plastic surgeon shingle.... almost... what a struggle... I bet human tissue would heal better than cotton...

Rhissanna said...

Oh, my goodness, she's beautiful. I approve the batik for her skin, the mottled effect is closer to real skin than a piece of flat dyed cotton, and the tail is lovely in the coral colour. I think her eyes are just right; they stand out and draw the viewer in and she'd look less arresting with a more subdued gaze. And that's a pretty amazing effect from dollar store glitter glue! Very pretty (and thrifty!).


I feel your pain about the house! It's a miserable process doing somewhere up to sell it.

Mrs A. said...

Just catching up in blog world and spotted your doll. she really is equisetic right down to the detail of her tummy button. Hugs Mrs a.

elle said...

oooh, this little mermaid is really quite nice. Not a giggly 'first time in the pool' kind of gal but right at her prime, I'm thinking! ;)