Wednesday, May 8, 2013

WIP...Abundance Continued....

I bought myself a new toy:) The "Abundance" class recommended that you have one of these for shaping her face........I didn't but I do now for future faces.


A handy dandy Mini Clover Iron. All of the quilters out there will know about this tool and I don't know why I didn't buy one before. I've looked at them in my local quilt store so many times and now I see that it does have lots of uses.

So on to WIP...I've put the coat together and have done a wee bit of decoration.

Here is the front and back.

Click on the pic to enlarge to get a better look see:)


The class directions said to sew around the edges to construct the coat and then turn it right side out and sew up the sides which would leave a raw edge on the inside......:(

I know that once the coat is on the doll this won't matter but I just couldn't do that....my mum would be rolling over in her grave if I did....she always said that the inside of a garment must look as good as the outside.

So even though it was a bit fiddly I sewed up the inside seams and finished it off. Then I did a quick tacking stitch along the bottom and up the side edge so that the lining won't slip down once the coat is on.


Now I just have to put all the elements together and finish off the doll.

Well that's it from me for today:)

I'm linking up with the Needle & Thread Network . Please go over and visit and see what my fellow Canadians are up to this week.

Take care.

p.s. Personal complaint....re. blogs that are on WordPress.com....sometimes it's impossible to leave comments unless you have a WordPress user ID and password...it is a real pain...and I do have one and it's still a pain. I usually give up.  Rant over:)


18 comments:

The Stitch Fiddler said...

Your coat is coming along beautifully. I love your fabric choices. I debated on finishing the inside of the coat also. I cringed about the interior raw edges too. You did a lovely job with the seaming.

I need one of those little mini irons too! Can't wait to see your finished doll.

Katherine said...

Beautiful! Is it wrong to want that coat in my size? ;o)

Your doll is going to be the envy of all the other dolls in this gorgeous coat.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Wow!!!!! I love that coat

Susan Being Snippy said...

Yes, I really like the crazy patchwork of the coat and the buttons add a nice touch -- got a few more sparkly buttons to add around the neck, maybe?? or beads...

Simon Purple said...

Your coat is full of awesome! So glad you took the high road and finished the inside! I have one of those irons, but it never seems to get hot enough to be useful to me. I hope you have better luck.

rtquilter said...

Gorgeous wee coat, Mary Ann! Love the colours and the embellishment. I also love my Clover iron. There are some other really great points for them that you can buy separately- really useful!

Shashi Nayagam said...

You di a great job of the coat. Your sewing is superb. Your mum taught you well

Createology said...

My compliments on finishing the inside of this beautiful coat. The details really do count. Blissful Stitching...

Hindustanka said...

The doll's attire looks kind of posh :) with all that silk lining and beads and actually she will not be that poor girl as she has to seem :) beautifully made coat!

Patti said...

The clothing is just beautiful!

Kate said...

I really like your coat. I enjoy crazy patch, and yours is so well done.

Deb Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Oh my gosh Mary Ann, your coat is exquisite! The details are amazing, you are such a beautiful seamstress. And your new toy is an iron?! Never heard or seen of such a beasty, but perfect for all those teeny, tiny hard to reach places I am sure. Can't wait to see 'Abundance' in her beautiful coat and I am with you about Wordpress, it is a pain! Deb P.S. thanks for all the info on the sculpting classes :O)

Rhissanna said...

Oh my! That lining is just lovely! I know what you mean about the raw edge. I am so in love with that crazy patchwork effect, I'm trying to think of something to use it on, like a Rabbit Trickster.

Let us know how the clover iron works out, please? I know I have to get one eventually.

Oh! One of the words on the Captcha was England! Lol!

Starr White said...

Gorgeous, Mary Ann! And I also would like one in my size please :)

ps I'm sure your Mom would be proud!

Isobel said...

What a beautiful coat! Would you consider making one human size? ;) I love it.

BumbleVee said...

The inside IS beautiful Mary Ann ... your Mom would be proud....

Ron Anger said...

The Coat Looks Great!
I knew this was going to be a good class. Looking forward to more!

PAMMAGINATION Creativity Unleashed said...

Simply love this!!!