Thursday, May 2, 2013

WIP...Abundance Class Week 4....

I have really been dragging my feet with this doll. So far this doll has been the easiest to construct as far as the body goes...but...the head has been a nightmare for me.

I just cannot get it right no matter what I do. I think I have made five heads so far and this is my latest. I haven't got the mouth or eyes correct. I know I'm being picky but I would like to get it right. I'm not giving up though as this style of construction is awesome and has so many possibilities.

Here she is...her head and hair are just pinned on for the moment as is her skirt draping.




I dyed some cheesecloth for her skirt and head shawl but I'm not sure I will go that route because I don't think it really goes with the fabrics I've chosen for the coat.  I think a chiffon might suit better.


The colours are a bit different in person. I was disappointed in how the red turned out as it was supposed to be more rusty red so I may redye it to see if I can get a better colour:) 

Here is the front of her coat so far.....I appliqued the pieces together by hand sewing.


The class suggests free motion stitching over the surface of the coat and I'm still thinking about whether that is what I want to do. I'm wondering if it might be a bit too busy then.

One of my classmates is The Stitch Fiddler:)  IMHO she has totally nailed this doll...please go over and see how this doll should really look like:) 

I'm linking up today with The Needle & Thread Network. 

Please hop over and take a look and see what some of my fellow Canadians are making.

Take care:)




14 comments:

elle said...

Dyed cheese cloth. Isn't that yummy. I shall hop over to see what she 'should' look like but she looks mighty fine to me! ;^)

Deborah Darling said...

I think she looks awesome. Sometimes we look at our work too hard, occasionally I have to walk away from a piece and take time out till I look at it again with fresh eyes and see how good it is. Obviously its up to you to keep going, but shes a totally divine looking doll to me xxxxx

The Stitch Fiddler said...

Oh my goodness Mary Ann she's wonderful. I love her mouth and eyes! I noticed you said the body was easy for you, but the body was a nightmare for me. I love the color's of the coat, you did an awesome job. Your cheesecloth colors are wonderful. The yellow on mine is too bright but I used them anyways. I think you will love how the cheescloth does rolls and crinkles. You can form it in so many ways.

ps (thank-you for your gracious comments on my doll)

Dolores said...

I think you've done a great job. She almost looks like she has a smirk on her face. Love the dyed cheesecloth.

Mrs A. said...

I think both dolls are superb. No two peoples faces are the same and I like the subtle differences. Oooh are you going to make the Raven too? Can't wait to see the finished coat. Loving the colour.
Hugs Mrs A.

rtquilter said...

Looking really awesome so far, Mary Ann. Keep right on. Whatcha going to do with all those extra heads? I can never bear to toss them out! I have a LOT of disembodied heads!! You too'?

Susan Being Snippy said...

even tho their faces make them familial, even sisters have different styles... I do prefer your patchwork as it is more 'crazy' but then I am partial to any pinks, reds and violets...

Love your dolls, but wonder, what do you do with them? I would think that like quilts there just gets to be too many to fit and you have to find other homes for them mind you I still have the dolls I made when I tried out that crafting category.... I only have a half dozen tho...

Starr White said...

Since I am not a doll maker (yet!) it boggles my mind how you could be dissatisfied with her! I love the expression on her face as if she's just discovered something wonderful. And I also wonder what you do with all your gorgeous doll creations. I think I would get very attached to them :)

Rhissanna said...

Oh my! I love her face. What an expressive smile. I hope you find a use for those other heads!

The dyed cheesecloth is really pretty. I think the open texture of the cheesecloth is part of the doll's character, but if chiffon suits the coat better, you ought to go for it. it's your doll.


And I'm completely taken by the coat made of pieces of fabric. that's like a crazy quit, right? In fact, I'm so taken with the idea I'm going to have to make one. She's a lovely doll. Thank you for showing us how she's going.

Catherine said...

I like all those colors. Very spring-like! :)
xo Catherine

Createology said...

Visiting from Lorraine at Creative Daily and I am in awe of your art. I shall be following your progress. Happy Hearts are Creative Hearts...

BumbleVee said...

hey, you could always do a bit of hand embroidery on some of the pieces of the coat.....

Shashi Nayagam said...

Mary Ann she is coming on fine. Love the fabrics that you are going to use.

Sue McFadden said...

Keep going Mary Ann! Reserve judgement until you finish your doll. Don't allow that inner critic get to you!!!!