Tuesday, April 9, 2013

WIP.....

Well the first week of the on line class for "Abundance" has commenced and here is where I am so far....


"Abundance" has what is known as a stump body in that she has no legs but has a shaped base that allows her to stand on her own. A stump body works very well for dolls where the costume is the main focus.

I used a piece of heavy cotton for her body. It was a very large remnant that I bought at the Toronto CreativFestival two years ago for $2. It's actually heavy weight drapery fabric. At the time I thought it would make a great background for an appliqued picture of some sort. I have strange ideas sometimes.

I was very lucky this week too as I commented on a blog I follow for a giveaway and guess what I won.......FABRIC!!!! Not just any fabric but crazy quilting type fabric from Diane's Decorating Diary.

I had a choice of twenty crazy quilting packages to choose from and it was very difficult but I chose this one......


Borrowed from Diane's Blog...hope she doesn't mind.
 ......as I thought I could use some of them for "Abundance" and another project that I'm working on too.

The Princess and the Pea by Cindee Moyer:) 

Source: Joggles

All of those little cushions.....and the mattress too.

Source: Joggles
I have some very nice pieces of  embroidered lawn that came from a store sample book that I bought about 30 years. The pieces are quite small but I think together they might be perfect for her night gown. I might finally be able to use them for something:)

Well that's it for me. Much more soon.

I'm linking up today with The Needle & Thread Network. Please go over and visit and see what my fellow Canadians are creating.

Take care.

13 comments:

Deborah Darling said...

I love your blogg, its so pretty and informative, I cant wait to see how the doll looks when finished xxx

The Stitch Fiddler said...

Your doll body is wonderful Mary Ann. What a great use for your $2 fabric.

Oh lucky you....you won all that fabric? wow, it's beautiful.

Happy sewing

elle said...

Great win. The princess will never find the pea under all that cuteness.

Mrs A. said...

Her body looks like a sculptered piece of wood. The curves are so perfectly formed. Can't wait to see the rest of her. What a lovely surprise to win the quilt fabric just as you needed it too.I think someone was smiling down on you when your name was picked. The bag you have chosen has some gorgeous fabric in it.
Love the Princess and her bed.
Hugs Mrs A.

Starr White said...

I think it is no accident that you won all that wonderful fabric just as you are beginning a fabulous crazy-quilt costume. It makes me smile :) Looking forward to seeing what you do with it - I know it will be fantastic!

Lorraine said...

I've purchased several of Diane's fabric packs in the past. Look forward to seeing how this project comes together.

Susan Being Snippy said...

i think one must need a huge 'minds eye' to see what will happen with the curvy tower!? I am going to have to just come back to see, i guess!!

M-R Charbonneau said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the stump body, Mary Ann -- very cool!

Linda said...

Nice win! Lovely fabrics. Won't they be just perfect for "Abundance's" coat.

Catherine said...

Gosh ~ a lot of work sure goes into these beautiful dolls! Lovely!
xo Catherine

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Perfect timing for your giveaway win Mary Ann, congratulations! I love the Princess and the Pea doll, she is adorable. Can't wait to see your progress on her as well as on Abundance.

Rhissanna said...

That shapely stump body is a thing of beauty on its own. I can see why you'd want it for a background for an applique picture, it's all organic and swirly.

Oh! Congrats on the fabric giveaway! A bag of goodies for a crazy quilt? What a wonderful idea.

And Cindee's doll, does that include making the sweet little bed? The embroidered lawn sounds wonderful (I love lawn!) and I can't wait to see them on a princess' nightie.

BumbleVee said...

I love her gown .. especially right now while I am doing my white on white project .....ooooh... maybe I should do a little dress out of pieced tiny bits of different whites....

The little cushions are all so cute ..