Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lillian and Max Essentially Done...

I think I have done everything I was supposed to do with Lillian and Max. I still need to put some felt on the bottom of their base and then glue them on permanently.

Here are some pictures.....


I made a big mistake with her nose...it's a bit larger than it should be.  I was so concerned about the fact that it might disappear under the over skin that I sorta over compensated when I did the needle sculpting. Oh well...a lesson learned:)




I had lots of doll size buttons but nothing in grey or black ...so out came the acrylic "enamel" paint and viola....



The coat has raglan sleeves and  a very slim profile to match her skinny body. I was thinking of making her a purse to match her felted hat but maybe not.  I think she's done.                                                     


I learned quite a bit making Lillian and Max. The lesson instructions were well paced and easy to follow with lots of coloured pictures. This is not a doll for a beginner though. I would say you'd need to have made at least a few soft sculpted dolls before you attempt Lillian:)

I'm joining up today with The Needle & Thread Network. Go over and visit and check out what my fellow Canadians are up to this week.

Take care.

21 comments:

elle said...

amazing! And as someone with a larger nose I don't think you made a mistake. Barbra Streisand- eat your heart out! lol

The Stitch Fiddler said...

OH I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, her!! She is fabulous. I love the wool herringbone coat you made for her. You did wonderful with all the details Mary Ann. You should be so proud. Love the hat and the dogs collar....actually everything!

Now I see I need to take a few classes. I usually read up on doll making via books and some internet searching. But I think I will have to try a class.

You are very talented.

Dolores said...

She is gorgeous. Won't you reconsider a handbag. One with some bright colour, perhaps a bit outlandish? Looking at her dead on, she is very gray because we can't see her red hat. Big nose? Wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. European looking, I think.

Dorien said...

Wow, what a great doll!! She is beautiful. You did a great job!

Mrs A. said...

You have made a wonderful job of them and I think surpassed yourself. Personally I think her nose is just fine as it is. It gives her a Haughty look of 'Do you not know who I Am?' and you certainly wouldn't address her with anything less than 'Yes Madam'.
who or what is coming next i wonder!!!
Hugs Mrs A.

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I like her nose, it gives her an air of aristocratic hauteur!! How on earth do you sew that small...the buttonholes for example, are amazing.....I love everything about them. You are very clever!!
LLJ xxxx

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

All I can say is WOW! Fabulous job Mary Ann and her nose is perfect! Deb

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

Beautiful detail and workmanship! I adore Max.....

Starr White said...

Double WOW! You are an amazing doll artist, Mary Ann! She is fabulous, and I agree with everyone else about her nose. I think it makes her look very aristocratic. Just wow.

Regina said...

Absolutely incredible work!

rtquilter said...

She's gorgeous, Mary Ann! I have never made a Cindee Moyer pattern. I have looked at Lillian a lot but never made her. She is a work of art! Congratulations!

Kitchener Quilter said...

Beautiful work. Great details. You've really nailed it in the shape of Max the dog. So elegant both of them.

Boho Bonnie said...

OMG! Mary Ann, your doll and dog are fantastic!! Great work.

Susan Being Snippy said...

Everything about this lady shouts dignified excess! I love her haughty face and think the nose gives her something that she needs to 'live down'. I too would like to see her with a understated red leather clutch or a big "carpet bag" or 'hand luggage' as if she is headed out on a ship to cross the ocean! (not the Titanic, tho)

Amy Harrold said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Harrold said...

Oh she is just wonderful! <3
So elegant :)
Well done x

Amy @ Pixie-crafts

Kit Lang said...

Mary Ann, they're just BEAUTIFUL. !

Rhissanna said...

Oh, she is gorgeous! I love her patrician nose, it does seem to suit her, and Max is a sweetheart. Her herringbone coat is very glamourous and the little checkerboard base is just perfect. This is just wonderful, Mary.

Lorraine said...

Fantastic! I agree with comments above that her nose suits her! Max is great!

Deborah Darling said...

a gorgeous doll !! xxx

Ilona said...

I like this doll and her nose suits her, I think ;)! I absolutely love her coat! Max is wonderful.
Sincerely, Ilona
www.MiniMumLoon.blogspot.com