Sunday, March 3, 2013

Cloth Doll Artistry Challenge......

I joined in the Art Doll Studio Challenge at CDA to recreate in clay one of the old Saturday Evening Post magazine covers.

After I put my name down and considered what I was getting myself into I was really doubtful if I would in fact do the challenge.

What the heck was I thinking! I have never used any type of clay in my life for anything and now I had to make a figure....eeeeek!!!!

I made a promise to myself that this year I would try to use what I have in my stash and not buy any new supplies unless I absolutely had to. Luckily I had some flesh coloured FIMO that I bought a long time ago. I worked in out yesterday with my son that I must have bought it in 1994. It was as hard as a rock. After Googling I found a product to recondition the FIMO so it would be usable.

Pah! Who needs conditioner? After many hours of kneading that hard lump I managed to get it back to some sort of malleability. My son then suggested that I put it into a sealed container with a damp paper towel for a few days. So I did that and voila! Lovely soft FIMO.

I made the baby and then did the oven thing....hovering to make sure it didn't burn. Then I decided to paint the body. I was doing fine until I did the pink highlights. I grabbed some peach coloured paint that I thought might suit....except it was peach pearl. I only discovered that after it dried. Ooooops!

I didn't even know I owned any pearl paint. Sheesh! After a few attempts to dull it down I sorta gave up and went with it:)

Any way after much much swearing I somehow managed...even if I do say so myself...a pretty good representation of the magazine cover picture.



There is no fear that Michelangelo has any future competition though...LOL

Take care:)

p.s. When using FIMO do not wear a sweater or anything fluffy as FIMO is like a magnet to fluffyness. I thought I was seeing spots before my eyes until I realized that it was itty bitty bits of sweater fiber stuck into the FIMO.....ah well.

11 comments:

Romona said...

Fantastic job Mary Ann. It's every bit like the cover.... Good for you, Romona

PS...and don't apologize for the extra step to post, I wish everyone would do it. It would go a long way to slowing down spammers..

elle said...

wow, what a lovely shiny back end! lol It does look great, Mary Ann

Dolores said...

That is so cute. You've done a wonderful job.

Starr White said...

Wow, I think you did an amazing job! He just looks like he stepped out of the bathtub :)))))

May said...

WOW!! What a Fabulous job.. you have rocked this one... Amazing detail.. Love it all!! you clever girl... Hugs May x x x

BumbleVee said...

Mary Ann...this is excellent! What a great job you did......

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Oh my gosh, you are so multi-talented, I am in awe Mary Ann! You did a wonderful job on your sculpture and I like the pearl, he has such a cute little shiny butt :O) I've got to get back over to the CDA site, I joined and then have never gone back. Very well done, I am so impressed! Deb

Isobel said...

Ok. That's pretty darn awesome. NICE JOB!! It's sooo cute!! :)

JennyPennyPoppy said...

You are definitely very talented. Your doll looks amazing and very well done especially since you've never worked with clay before!!

natalie jo said...

You are a far braver woman than I Mary Ann...working with clay is one of my most dreaded fears! Pearl paint or not the little lovie is delightful...you did an amazing job!!!

Rhissanna said...

Wow! I missed this. This is really amazing! I love his sweet little bottom and the pearl paint seems just right! It's really lovely and you should be proud.