Monday, February 4, 2013

A Finish.....

I finally finished the mermaid!!!!

I have a good excuse for my procrastination...I had the flu.......cough...hack...choke.....sigh.


I ended up not using the head that belonged to the original pattern design because I really didn't like the look....after three attempts I gave up and did my own thing.


I had some small starfish buttons that I took the shanks off and used for decoration on her crown with some tiny crystals in the center of each one. The crown is made of painted muslin. I used really lovely paints...Lumiere by Jacquard...love them.



I fussy cut some more of the lace fabric and attached it to some gathered satin ribbon, added a few beads and that was her top. I thought it sort of looked seaweedy-ish.


Her body is actually a very pale green marbled batik fabric. I really like using batik for doll bodies because it stuffs very well and it has a nice surface for drawing and colouring the face.

So there she is....Shakira...Queen of the Sea.....

Take care:)



15 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Beautiful. Would have looked beautiful whichever fac you put on her but i know how you feel. It has to be just right or not at all.
Hugs Mrs A.
p.s. Love her name too.

Isobel said...

She's absolutely fabulous! I love her! I'm glad you went with the face design you did. It's perfect. Wonderful job. :)

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

She was worth the wait Mary Ann, Shakira is wonderful!Love her face, what talent you have, I am in awe. Hope you are fully over the 'lurgy', take care of yourself, Deb

Inez Visser said...

Wow Mary Ann! She is very beautiful. Great job!

Romona said...

She looks great Mary Ann, isn't it fun to finish UFO's, that sense of accomplishment... Romona

Starr White said...

Wow! She's beautiful! I'm just in awe of your talent - amazing!!

kimber said...

She is stunning!

Dorien said...

Beautiful colours, she is adorable!

Sue said...

Wow! Looks like a complex pattern getting her tail to twirl like that. You did a great job. I like all the little details the web fingers, her crown, and her fussy cut lace top. A lot of love went in making her and it shows with her radiant smile!

May said...

WOW! What a work of Art...The colours & fine wonderful detail is amazing... You are so talented.. she is Beautiful.. Hugs May x x x

Kit Lang said...

She is beautiful!

Allison said...

I love the way her tail loops!

LynCC said...

She is AWESOME! Her top is perfect, and really love her crown.

Rhissanna said...

Oh! I missed this!


Wow, Mary Ann, she;s a stunner! LOOK at that coiled tail! The lace overlay is fabulous and the lace cut outs, they really do look aquatic and frondy, like exotic seaweed. I like the head you gave her, not least because it makes her look like one of your dolls. The painted crown is genius. I'm going to read up on those paints.

Sorry about the flu, though, I've heard it's pretty awful. You're better now?

ruthanne said...

Very nice job. Love your mermaid top.
I friend did this pattern and also was lucky enough to buy one of Barbara's. I think you have been very creative with her. Love the seaweed look.