Saturday, November 3, 2012

Special Project Revealed....

I can finally tell you about the special project I was working on.

In late August I was asked by Colleen Babcock to be one of two testers for her Mystery Doll Pattern  as seen here.

I was very surprised and of course I said yes. So for the month of September I receive each section as Colleen released it to us testers and put the doll together. Even I had to wait until the final sections to see what I was making. It was so much fun and I couldn't wait to see what each new section would reveal:)

As always Colleen's dolls are very special and her Mystery Doll is just fabulous. It's an Advent doll with an 1860's vintage look that she calls "Counting Down The Days".

She has sweet little pantaloons...
 

... and a hooped crinoline.......


and a fabulous dress and the most adorable hat....I loved making that hat:) She has a full armature so she stands on her own. She also has a lovely body structure that would be perfect for any period or style of doll.

Her jacket has an over skirt that has three layers with points. On each point is a number from one to 22. Each point has a small loop at the end that "buttons" to a bead on the next layer above it.......
 

I decided to make my dress out of my stash and ended up using three fat quarters of plain Kona cotton in three shades of lavender for the top layers. The underneath fabric in dark purple was a 1 meter cotton remnant that I picked up for $0.68. The skirt is a fat quarter of a batik cotton that has blue, pink and all shades of lavender and purple. Her body is also made of batik fabric. I couldn't find anything in my stash that I could use so I improvised. The original fat quarter of batik was an ugly brown so I bleached it to a pale flesh colour. It worked perfectly.


As each day of Advent passes you either reveal or cover the days 1 to 22......it depends on what you want to do.........I couldn't decide as both ways are nice.....





 ...and, a close up of the princess line bodice....


Number 23 is on the back of the hat above the bow. The hat has a surprise for that day. The top lid opens up and reveals a cockade of feathers......




very cute hat

Number 24 is on the tassel hanging from the fan that she is holding. The fan opens to reveal Merry Christmas.




Colleen puts so much thought and detail into her doll patterns. I like the idea too that she has people test her patterns before she releases them for sale. If she decides to do another Mystery Doll pattern I'll be the first in line to participate.

Take care :)

8 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

That is absolutely astonishing!! What miniscule stitching and attention to detail, quite wonderful - I love her character!
Hugs, LLJ xx

Rhissanna said...

Wow, Mary Ann! How have you managed to keep this secret? She's so wonderful. Look at those lovely undies! And I'm really taken by the idea of bleaching fabric to get cloth the skin colour you want! You clever bunny!

The gown looks very complicated and intricate. I really like how the shades of purple go together. Was it as complicated to assemble as it looks? It must have been really exciting, getting each section as it was released.

Congratulations on being chosen to be a tester. This is a spectacular doll and such a lovely idea for Advent. I'm in awe!

Ron Anger said...

She's lovely! The colors are amazing. Colleen choose wisely - you did a fantastic job!
how on earth did you keep it a secret? ;)

WendyCarole said...

Oh she is wonderful. I love the colours you have chosen

elle said...

I was 'hooked' from the first pantaloon over the black stockings. Too cute! Great job!

Colleen Babcock said...

Mary Ann,
Your doll is stunning. I was very lucky to have you as a tester. Thank you so much!

Inez Visser said...

translate from dutch:

Wat een geweldige uitdaging! en je hebt het zo mooi gemaakt. Zeker omdat je niet wist wat uiteindelijk het eindresultaat zou worden. Geweldig werk!!

Zijn je vingers weer helemaal 100%? Ik ben heel benieuwd hoe het met je zeemeermin gaat!
Liefs,
Inez

Mrs A. said...

I'm absolutely speechless with awe. She is totally,totally stunning. Hugs Mrs A.