Wednesday, October 17, 2012

WIP Wednesday.....

I've been on an hiatus with my sewing as I had to give my hands...my fingers actually....a rest. For some reason the tips of my fingers started drying out, then peeling and then cracking.

It was very painful and it made it hard to do anything. So I gave it a rest and applied some heavy duty hand cream from Vaseline and it seems to have done the trick.

Something I was handling obviously didn't agree with my hands. I'll have to watch and see what it is when I started to sew again.

Before all this I had done some beading on the flukes of my mermaid...actually the beading was the last straw for my poor fingers:(

I had some beads that blended in with the fabric I was using and I did a decorative edging just to give it a finished look. I'm not sure what I think about it yet. It may blend in too well and disappear but in person it's quite nice.

Before......


With the beading.....


A bit closer....


I want to put another colour with this....a contrast...but I can't decide what so I'm a bit stuck.

I may not have been sewing but I haven't been idle. I've been doing some genealogical research......a major addiction of mine. I did make some real breakthroughs so it was a very productive time.

I was also contacted by a lady doing research who is related to my second cousin through marriage. It turns out she emigrated from Scotland to Canada in the 70's, lived very close to me at one point and now lives in northern British Columbia. Small world.

I connected the two of them and now they are happily exchanging information. Some really old family photographs were exchanged and in them were two of my great aunts. So it turned out pretty good for me too:)

So I'm back to sewing again...very carefully:) 

I'm linking up with The Needle & Thread Network today.......go over and see what some very talented people are doing............

Take care.




14 comments:

HollyM said...

I started noticing the same problem with my finger tips and realized it seemed to coincide with having the electric heaters come on. The other night when I took my bath I noticed a slice in my thumb and thought I'd cut it. I realized it was a split.
I ve still been able to sew. I wear the gloves for free motion work.
When I sit down to knit, I have to keep rubbing a cream in as my skin pulls the threads.
I wonder if I need something more in the diet. I must do some research.
I love the mermaids tale with the beads. I could see maybe purple or green ones maybe.

Grandma Coco said...

I LOVE the beads on the edge of the flukes! Very pretty. For your crack-y fingertips, try liquid bandage at the first sign of a split. Also, I like Bag Balm to soothe my fingertip that gets poked when I hand quilt. You can get it at quilt shops or farm equipment suppliers 'cuz it was first used on cows' udders. Really!

kay susan said...

Mary Ann that's a beautiful tail! I was going to say that I'd heard Udder cream mentioned too, but I don't know where to get it.

Saturday Sequins said...

What a gorgeous mermaid tail! I'm so excited that you're including some beadwork. :)

I second the Bag Balm. Wrap your hands in plastic wrap or disposable gloves for a few hours while it's on, and your hands and fingers will be so, so happy. :)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Beautiful color in this piece. take care of your fingers. Mine are very tender right now; but from hand quilting too much...taking a few days off before I put the next quilt in.

rtquilter said...

Too bad about your hands. You have my sympathies MaryAnn. Genealogy is a great break from sewing though. Enjoy!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Sore, split fingers are not nice.... hope the udder (!!) cream works.
I think tiny little pearls would work best with the blues on her fluke and they're sea related :)
Hugs, LLJ 56 xx

Rhissanna said...

Wow, that's really intricate beading. It must give the tail some nice weight and texture. I like golds and chestnut browns with strong blues, if that's any help? Or maybe a bright coral red?

I'm sorry about your fingers. That sounded really painful. The genealogy turned up some good stuff though. You're right, it is a small world!

Sam said...

You amaze me with your beading and all of your creations. I agree with Lunch Lady Jan, pearls would look the best as a further embellishment.

Mrs A. said...

The beads most definitely add the finishing touch. Can sympathise with your poor hands. I suffered badly in the winter months with cracked fingers and had a special crem from the dr's. Genealogy is my second love and one I enjoy delving into. Have gotten back to 1531 on one side of the family.
Hugs Mrs A.

elle said...

Yes, pearls! Finger splits are the worst thing!

famfa said...

Gorgeous, all that beadwork, no wonder your fingers are sore. Worth it though I am sure
Famfa

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Sorry to hear about your dry and cracked skin. Sounds painful. Hope you'll be able to find something to help. Your mermaid flukes look super!

PAMMAGINATION Creativity Unleashed said...

Stunning! I am loving your beadwork!!!