Wednesday, October 3, 2012

WIP Wednesday......

I'm still working on the mermaid doll from last Wednesday but I paused for awhile because I had a few other sewing projects I wanted to finish.

This is the doll so far........main bits done.


For some reason I just can't get my camera to take a picture showing the correct colour. The base fabric is blue and the lace is forest green and the combination is really a lovely greeny blue.

The tail balances quite nicely once you get the arms in position. I have pinned the arms temporarily here as there is beading embellishment to be done so I might take them off while I do that part.

This was a very quick and easy pattern. My only negative comment is that it is scarce on directions for putting the body together. The designer assumes I guess that you would be a fairly experienced sewer and doll maker to try this pattern. The instructions for the face though are very well detailed.

Confession time.....I did cheat a bit......I disliked that the tail was free moving. It meant that it changed position and kept moving forward towards the face. So I did what any crafter would do. I glued it. Not in the directions but what the heck! I made an executive decision. 

Now I need to go to Micheal's and check out their bead selection as I don't have the right colours to match. A trip there is always a very dangerous thing for my wallet. Plus, they have recently put in a new store very close to me.....way too close. Like right down the street....sigh.

Take care:)


12 comments:

Judys Fabrications said...

What a pretty mermaid so far Mary Ann.

Patti said...

Love how your mermaid is coming along. clever idea to glue the tail where you wanted it.

Mandy said...

She's looking very lovely so far :)

Rhissanna said...

This is pretty amazing. You said the pattern was quick and easy? Seriously? I'm looking at the spiral tail and thinking, how on earth does the pattern for that even work? It's really going to be something and yes, never be ashamed to use glue. The blue and the green really work well. You've said it doesn't show the true colours, but the textures are wonderful.

Oh, you're going to Michael's? Hang on while I get my bag...

elle said...

Who wants a tail in their face??? LOL

Mrs A. said...

My goodness me but she is adorable.! I'm all for a bit of artistic licence. Who is going to know. Can't wait to see her head. Hugs Mrs a.

orangepurplegreen said...

The doll is wonderful. To get the camera to get the colours better try natural light.

Isobel said...

I love mermaids. I can't wait to see this one finished. It's beautiful already. :)

Inez Visser said...

Hope you can translate my comment?!

Wat een mooie zeemeermin, werkelijk waar. Zelfs zonder haar prachtige hoofd. Ik ben heel benieuwd en kan bijna niet wachten.Ik hoop veel te leren van jou. Ik ben sinds paar maanden begonnen met cloth dolls maken, het is meer dan een uitdaging. Ik heb de poppenziekte...
Wat vervelend,winkels met hebbedingetjes om de hoek. Hand op de knip zoals ze in Holland zeggen. Mijn advies: kijk goed in je kasten er is altijd iets te vinden waar je weer iets moois van kan maken.
Ik kijk er naar uit dat deze mooie dame klaar is!

Love, Inez

Maggie R said...

Beautiful doll.. The colors are wonderful..anxious to see her all finished and beaded..
xoxo
((((hugs))))
maggie

Bethann Scott said...

Hi Mary Ann, Your mermaid is looking good! The beading embellishement is gorgeous. I'm anxious to see her finished.

I completely understand about making those executive decisions when a pattern falls short of instructions. At times I have found measurements to be way off, details lacking and so forth.

It would be good for pattern designers to send their patterns to someone who is not familiar with the pattern at all and sew the doll according to the directions to help insure the pattern is complete, easily understood and correct.

Tin Chapel Textiles said...

what a fantastic blogg Mary Ann and thankyou so much for including me. It might interest you to know that from november the 6th I will be artist in residence for over a year at the national trusts museum of childhood in derbyshire england. Where every month I shall get to pick out old toys from there extensive collection and be inspired by and make lots of one of a kind dolls and bears etc, so I will blogg daily then and make it as interesting as possible for all. Plus if anyone is visiting the uk, if they contact me, I will make sure their day at the museum , a very special one indeed. Much love to you and all the makers and artists out there !! keep up the great work !
bless you xxx