Wednesday, September 26, 2012

WIP Wednesday.................

I've been working on a special project since September 1st that I finished yesterday. I unfortunately can't reveal any details until November.

In the mean time I've started another doll....a mermaid. The pattern is called Scylla designed by Barbara Schoenoff.

Source: Dollmaker's Journey


Her body is made with a lace over a fabric lining. I was thinking of using a lace remnant that I found at my local store. I thought it might be perfect over a green fabric that I have that has a gold fleck on it's surface.


It looks very good in reality. The gold flowers are not so apparent with the fabric underneath and the lace will be fussy cut to cover the top torso so it should work out perfectly.

I think the challenge will be balancing that tail above her body:) The fluke is padded with quilt batting and slightly quilted so I'm not sure how it will work out.

If anyone has made this doll before let me know:)

ADDED:

You know that expression..."the best laid plans of mice and men oft go awry"......well....

I laid out the pattern on the green cotton fabric and I was short by two inches....arrrggghhh!!!! I could piece it I guess but I decided on plan B.

Plan B:



Same fabric...same maker...but in blue. My son thinks this looks more fishy:)

I'm linking up with The Needle &Thread Network today...go over and visit and see some remarkable work going on.

Take care.

8 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Adorable. Can't wait to see your version.. The lace and material look a good choice to use . Hugs mrs a.

elle said...

That is quite the tail! Your fabrics are scrumptious.

Judys Fabrications said...

This doll is looking gorgeous Karen.The tail especially looks very rich.

orangepurplegreen said...

I think your choice of fabrics will look wonderful.

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Wow, that doll is gorgeous, I love mermaids and she is a beauty. I like the blue better than the green, but that's cos it's my favourite colour.
You have such a talent...I watch in awe :D
Hugs, LLJ xx

Grandma Coco said...

I'm very interested to see how that curved tail is going to happen. I like the blue!!

Regina said...

Best of luck on this fiddly (but totally adorable) project!

Rhissanna said...

Hooray for plan B! I missed this post. I'm finding new Blogger a bother!