Friday, September 7, 2012

Friday Feature on The Needle & Thread Network....

Today I'm being featured over at The Needle & Thread Network.....a link-up page for Canadian Fibre Artists and Creative Stitchers & Sewers. Please take a moment and go and visit...
 
In addition to the feature, I'm supposed to point my readers to various of my creations.......you can find some here on my tab above called...."Dolls I have made" and over here....at My Tate Gallery...."Monthly Make-It Challenge" and my mice here.

The picture below is my latest doll that I have just finished. It is an elf doll made from a pattern from "Creative Cloth Doll Faces" by Patti Medaris Culea.

I've decided to call her Gypsy........I didn't have anything suitable for her hair so she has a temporary wig for the moment. I managed to make her using materials in my stash but it looks like I'm going to have to buy some mohair locks after all:)

Her body is Kona cotton. Her bodice is dyed cheese cloth and lace. Her pants and shoes are cotton batik. Her beaded embellishments were made by me too.


Also, here are some pictures of my workroom. I sew in a tiny front bedroom so I try to be as tidy as possible otherwise I'd never get anything done. I have two old sewing machines. One is a standard Singer made sometime between 1990 and 1992. My other sewing machine is an old Beaumark 4500 which was a trademark used by the Hudson's Bay Company. I don't recall when I got it but it was made in West Germany so pre-1990 at least. I have often been asked why I don't buy a new sewing machine with all the bells and whistles. Maybe some day.  

It was a very dull day....so not the brightest of pictures.
My worktable is a dining room table that I bought at Ikea. It has a center bit that comes up to extend it further so I can get a much bigger space to work on if I need it.


I keep most of my fabric and trims in plastic shoe boxes...and I have lots of plastic storage drawers as well....up top I keep the bigger bits of fabric, fur fabric, quilt batting and stuffing. The shelves are built into an alcove and will hold the weight of the heavier fabric....I have lots of bankers boxes at the moment too. I inherited a lot of stuff from my mum that I'm slowly weeding through.


A shelf for some of my dolls and some gifts from blogger friends.

So that's it from me today.......... Hope you've enjoyed your visit:)

Take care.

p.s.......any comments or ideas on a reasonably priced current style sewing machine much appreciated:)
 






15 comments:

sherry said...

she looks quite lovely with her puck rock hair...

elle said...

Gypsy is cute but the little one leaping off the lily pad is my favourite. Great to see how everybody stores and sews stuff. I'm a Bernina gal, myself.

Meredith said...

She's wonderful! Do you feel better about her now? Love seeing your work space...mine is frightening. I do need organizational skills as I spend most of my time trying to find things instead of creating! Was the cheese cloth hard to work with?

Dorien said...

I'm glad you finished her. She is cute. Such a sweet face with those sparkling eyes. And the spiky hair looks cool! Well done.

Lunch Lady Jan said...

She's a funky punky spirit - love her 'attitude'!! It was really great to see your space..I'm a tidy worker too, can't bear to work in a mess!
I'm a great believer in Buy Cheap Buy twice, so I'd buy the most expensive you can afford other wise it's false economy. I have a Janome but don't know if they're available in Canada..
Hugs, LLJ xx

Mrs A. said...

Love the name you have chosen for her and her hair suits just as it is. I have always had Singers. On my fourth one that I'm comtemplating upgrading to an all singing all dancing Janome.
Hugs Mrs A.

Colleen Babcock said...

Mary Ann,
You already know that I think Janome is the way to go. Interesting that a number of other ladies have already mentioned it. If you are going to the Creativ Festival this year, you might be able to get a deal there. Always best to buy from a dealer anyway.

The Stitch Fiddler said...

I enjoyed reading your Friday feature. You have a wonderful story and such talent for making dolls. I love the story about your mums shop.

Gypsy is beautiful and the tempory wig looks good. She looks as if she's ready to teach a dance class.

Bethann

Grandma Coco said...

You do such great stuff with the machines you have. Not sure why you'd want another. When I think about upgrading my machine, I think how long it's taken me to understand it as well as I do. (And now you know I'm pretty lazy.)

Inez Visser said...

I love this beautiful doll!!!
Great artistic work.

Love from Holland

Rhissanna said...

Wow! Congratulation on the feature! I just went over to read it. Heck, you were robbed at gunpoint when pregnant? Wow...

I think a lot of us dollmakers are specially grateful that you decided to make this blog and to make it public. You find such interesting stuff and a lot of it has been very inspiring.

It's nice to see the finished doll and I hadn't realised she was so big util I saw the picture in your craft room. Can I come over and sew at your place? It looks a really nice place to work!

Penny said...

Thanks for taking us on a tour of your sewing room -- I have an IKEA table in my room also -- plus have IKEA desks (one for the computer one for sewing). Love your dolls and loved seeing the shelf with all the dolls together - like they're having a perpetual party.

Sharon B said...

She is beautiful - great use of cheesecloth! Love her colors

Maureen said...

Your sewing space is so organized! I love it! I really need to get mine organized...currently I have fabric and yarn all over the place.

Isobel said...

I love this doll. She's so whimsical and the colours are cheerful. I'm glad you got inspired to finish her!