Wednesday, August 15, 2012

WIP Wednesday.....

For those who follow along....I have made up all the body pieces for the Patti Medaris Cullea doll called "Tania" from her "Creative Cloth Doll Faces" book.

Tani has an interesting figure.....the term Rubenesque comes to mind however she will have clothes eventually:)


She also has very interesting legs which are very shapely and were very difficult to stuff....getting around the sharp bend of the knee was tough. I did reduce the size of the calf by a fraction of an inch because I wasn't in love with the shape once it was stuffed. 



When you are making dolls a stitch that isn't quite right can be a glaring flaw once you have turned the body part and started stuffing. Lots of time such iffy bits can be covered with clothing but in the case of the legs it wasn't an option.

I'm joining up today with The Needle & Thread Network.....come on over and visit and see the work of talented Canadian artists.

Right Click to Save Image

p.s. I was a featured today at Fiber Arts & Mixed Media.


12 comments:

elle said...

Well, she certainly is going to be well endowed. But then I won't notice. I'll be looking at her feet! lol

Mrs A. said...

Gosh! Her shoes are a masterpiece just in themselves and those hands are incredible. Hats off to you again. Hugs mrs A.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Your work amazes me!! thanks for your comment on my post, yes, the rain was very needed....the garden is lots of work; but worth it...good luck with your tomatoes

Dolores said...

I look forward to seeing the finished doll. I have not made one yet but would love to. I think time is what is holding me back - and the fingers.

Susan Being Snippy said...

Ahhh, I wish I had ankles like that!

Jaime Haney aka ArtsyFartsy.Me said...

wow she does have some shapely legs! and so is the rest of her! I can't wait to see the finished doll, it already looks great Mary Ann.

Jaime Haney aka ArtsyFartsy.Me said...

oh and congratulations on the feature!!

rtquilter said...

I always get a giggle out of the disembodied body parts when I am making dolls. I have a rack I put heads on until I use them. i call it " London Bridge" after the practice of impaling heads on pikes as an example to others.thank goodness THAT practice is no longer in use.

Rhissanna said...

You're right about any error being exaggerated by the stuffing. It can be a big surprise when some limb turns into a lumpy mess. I have to say, you made a pair of sexy legs there!

Linda said...


Hi Mary Ann,

Great doll! Thanks for commenting about Jinxie cat. He is holding his own and trying to be active, he walks like a drunken sailor. We are holding on to see what transpires. I talked to Dr G, he wasn't real positive but we are hopeful for the time being, though we have prepared ourselves in the event he has to be put down.
Have a good weeekend! XO Linda

Rhissanna said...

Ooooh! I missed the bit about being featured! I'm going there now. Have a lovely day, Mary Ann,and congratulations!

Regina said...

How do you turn and stuff those tiny fingers (and the rest)? She'll look fabulous once finished.