Saturday, July 21, 2012

WIP.......

Last September 2011 I signed up to do my very first on line course called Bamboo Oracle with Colleen Babcock but, for various reasons, I never got around to even starting the doll.

So that is what is on my work desk today:)

This is a very exotic looking doll with an Asian flair....if you go to this link here you can see a picture and an explanation of the doll's purpose.

My first snag was finding a fat quarter of Dupion silk for the bamboo stem at a semi reasonable price. I found a fat quarter on Etsy in the perfect colour for $5.95. My local fabric store wanted a king's ransom for the same thing.

Since I have all of the lessons on hand it shouldn't take very long to make this doll.....I hope:)

I'm just finishing Lesson Three and have two more lessons to go. I'm hoping to have her finished for Wednesday.

Take care.

9 comments:

elle said...

Finding my glasses is becoming more and more of a problem. Let me know if this works!

May said...

Looking foward to seeing your completed doll... I'm sure it will be fabulous... Hugs May x x x

Mrs A. said...

The picture showing the specs on her shoes puts the doll into perspective. She looks to be quite big. Love the colours of her clothes. I have found eBay prices to be very reasonable when I needed to get some japaneses silk material for a project. Looking forward to seeing your doll and the materials you have chosen. hugs Mrs A.

Rhissanna said...

What a very useful doll! First place i look for lost glasses is on top of my head, which apparently looks pretty ridiculous to anyone watching. I love sewing with dupion silk. I always wash it (by hand, on its own, in cold water) first, because it shrinks like buggery and the colour runs like a rabbit if it gets wet.

Colleen Babcock said...

Hi Mary Ann,
Glad you've made some progress on Bamboo Oracle. Dupioni can be expensive. When I'm in Canada I got to Fabricland when they have their big sales on and buy their dupion for about $12/m. I buy lots and stock up!

Romona said...

Hi Mary Ann, This was a fun project to do. I found that some dupioni is better than others, depends where it comes from. You might want to consider adding a stabilizer to the backside of the silk to give a bit more strength.. Have fun, she's a wonderful doll to make. Romona

famfa said...

Cool. Look forward to seeing end product x

Ron Anger said...

Looking forward to seeing this one!

Dorien said...

You're not the only one who signed up months ago for this Bamboo Oracle online-class. Me too!
And to be honest, I still haven't done anything yet.
I really should start this project you know, just like you , because it's such a lovely doll.