Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Water Lily - Week 4

Well I have been very busy catching up with my on line class that I am taking with Canadian doll artist Colleen Babcock.

I'm pretty well up to date with all of the lessons and I'm ready for Week 5 which will be Water Lily's flippers, her lily pad and her water lily headdress.

Here is a picture of what I have done so far......






I've pinned the wings on for now as I'm not sure which way I'm going to place them as yet. I took Colleen's advice and glued around the edges of the wings to prevent fraying. I used a Crayola product called Pip-squeaks. They are these cute little glitter glue dispensers that come in 16 colours. I used Jazzy Jade around the edge of the wings. They are really for scrap booking but the glue works fine on fairy wings too.




I'm also going to give her hair a bit of a tidy up as well.

I have really enjoyed making this doll. I had never done a full armature using 1/8th inch (3mm) aluminum wire before and it's been a revelation. Water Lily is a very sturdy little doll and I'm so pleased with how she has turned out so far.

Actually I'm amazed that I've got this far....LOL  I think my family are amazed too:)

It's been a challenge and I have learned quite a lot about doll making. Colleen is a great teacher in person and on line.  Visit Colleen at her blog The Magic Bean.

Next time I'll show you my finished Water Lily.

I'm joining up today with The Needle & Thread Network.....come on over and see the work of some very talented Canadians:)

22 comments:

Dolores said...

She's adorable.

Mimi said...

congratulations! she is so beautiful, I wish I could learn how to make it, you are lucky and a great dollmaker, I cant wait to see her finished!! kisses, Mimi

elle said...

A Water Lily Faerie! She is just darling. Makes me wish I had a water garden!!! Good for you!

Annie said...

She is really gorgeous. Well done you.
Hugs,
A x

Meredith said...

She's absolutely beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing your the journey of making her. Thanks for the glue tip too!

Rhissanna said...

Wow! Look at her. I love the perky pose and her sweet face. And those fairy wings! They're edged with glue? I'm going to have to try that. She's really wonderful, Mary. That green dress is just gorgeous.

Jeanette said...

She is really cute, I love how she is posed. And lime green is a favorite color of mine, so the dress and wings are awesome.

What Comes Next? said...

she is fantastic!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I rather like her hair the way it is now actually! Don't tidy it too much, she may be a Water Lily Fairy, but the girl's got attitude already, kind of punky and rebellious (that appeals to me!)
How on earth do you sew fingers that small??? You must use a microscope!!
Hugs, LLJ xxxx

Colleen Babcock said...

Mary Ann,
With every step she just looks more marvellous. You really got that delicate texture with the wings and the shouder embellishment is looking great too. Oh boy, can't wait to see what you do with the Water Lily.

Sheila said...

You should be very proud of this amazing accomplishment , Waterlily is adorable !!

Nettonya said...

Well done!

I haven't even started mine, yet.

Your doll and your blog are delightful!

Nettonya

Romona said...

Hi Mary Ann, Great job with Water Lily. I am going to redo mine. I did her a long time ago and since then I feel better equiped to do her justice..lol Romona

Cathy Tomm said...

Your doll is looking great. You should be proud of your work so far. Your work speaks well for the on line class. Glad you have learned so much.

Mrs A. said...

Last week I said she was coming along nicely, this week I am absolutely speechless. You have one very special talent there.Can't wait to see her finished next week. What a revelation!!!!

Linda said...

Love her! Your work is amazing

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

That is the most adorable doll!!!

rtquilter said...

Really great little doll. I would not touch the hair at all. I love the whimsical, wispiness of it just as it is. Makes me want to get back to dolls again. I made SO many last summer but that muse is not active at the moment. Too many other projects on the go, but seeing this makes me want to get back to my little people!

Grandma Coco said...

Oh, my gosh. I take a little time off and come back to see you knee-deep in such a wonderful project! I love this little doll. Now, I'll have to go back and see it from the beginning.

Nora MacPhail said...

She's wonderful. I love that colour of green of her dress.

Regina said...

What a wonderful doll, you are so gifted!

Shashi Nayagam said...

She is beautiful Mary Ann