Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Water Lily - Final Week

I really wanted to show you the final completed Water Lily but I hit a snag. The class includes directions on making ribbon petals for her flower hat. It turns out that I didn't have enough of the right ribbon for Lily's headdress which was really annoying because I was positive I did. Then I remembered I used it elsewhere.......ooops:(

We are having a mega heatwave here so I decided that I didn't want to go out in it just for ribbon. So far this summer we have used our air conditioner more times than we have in the last two summers...maybe three summers.  

So I improvised. I tried using another type if ribbon but the headdress turned out too big and too heavy.....

I pinned the petals together to give you an idea:)


Here is Lily with her temporary headdress...................I didn't use all the petals and those I did use are pinned in place.




Also, I hope Colleen doesn't mind but I didn't exactly make the flippers using her directions.

Today I'm joining up with The Needle & Thread Network.......please visit to see the work of some very talented Canadians.

I have also joined up to Artists in Blogland .....a collection of artists who blog covering all medias including  doll making:) 

Take care:)

14 comments:

Patti Shanks said...

Lily is completely gorgeous! Hope it cools off enough to get out for the proper ribbon.

elle said...

ohh, she can have a couple hats! She is very sweet! agile, too! lol

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I've said it before, but I'll say it again... you are SOOOOOO talented. How on earth do you make things so perfectly??? You must have very tiny fingers that's for sure! Water Lily is lovely - does she need a hat though? I quite liked her bare headed :D
Hugs, LLJ ~70 xx

Annie said...

She is just adorable.
Hugs,
A x

Colleen Babcock said...

She's gorgeous Mary Ann! And no I don't mind when people invent their own ways of doing things. Students often apologise for going their own way, but there really is no need. As a designer I hope that my pattern and instructions will inspire you and hopefully teach you something new. And your work certainly looks inspired so I'd say my work here is done!

Regina said...

What's wrong with that flower? I'd give my eyeteeth (whatever those are) to just be able to make a flower like that.

Mrs A. said...

Lily is absolutely gorgeous. You should give yourself a huge pat on the back and I think you deserve a gold medal!! Hugs Mrs A.

Maureen said...

She is beautiful! You do such amazing work!

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

She is lovely!! Great job!

What Comes Next? said...

she is just wonderful!

Kate said...

She is just lovely. I like her hat. Of course, I am a big fan of things purple.

Susan Being Snippy said...

I love this type of doll! She would look lovely in little garden! but I doubt she would enjoy the deluge of slugs at night!

Thanks for the link to the Artists in Blogland -- I signed up for the ATC swap!

Dorien said...

She is a gorgeous Water Lily!!

Rhissanna said...

I really love that pose and her expression. Those wings you told me about look really lovely, too and just the right scale for her.

The construction of the flower is fascinating.