Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Water Lily - First attempt at the head:)

Here is my first attempt at the Water Lily head. Colleen suggests that you take a picture of your face to get another "view" of it and she's right. 

You can look at something sometimes and just not really see it:) The Water Lily character is supposed to be looking up. See her right eye......it has too much white showing at the top left....she has a sort of twisted wild eyed look going on.


I corrected it a bit by making both irises a tiny bit larger....and faffing around a bit with the top eyelid on the right eye. Just a teeny tiny bit. When you are working on a small scale less is best:)


She is also supposed to have a pouty bottom lip which could be better I think. Anyway, I have another head stuffed so I'll give it another try and then decided which head I'll use.

I have my armature wire now so that is what I'm going to be working on for the rest of the week. There may be some banging and crashing and loud exclamatory outbursts.

I'm joining up with The Needle & Thread Network today....come on over and take a look:)

Take care.

13 comments:

elle said...

Oye I see two projects happening here. lol I guess personality happens even as you fill the nose.

Meredith said...

she's wonderful! I love how you corrected the whites of the eye. Her lip looks very pouty..I like it! Thanks for posting your progress..

Patti Shanks said...

She already looks like she has an abundance of personality! Can hardly wait to see her finished.

Juanita said...

I love her! She's got personality plus!

pegsplace said...

Cute! Yes, taking pictures of our creations lets us see what is missing or what is too much. You are so patient!

rtquilter said...

Water Lily looks great! Try making three heads each time and choose the best one- but you will soon have a pile of disembodied heads and I defy you to throw them out!!! Don't be too critical of yourself. Enjoy dollmaking! Don't stress over it. Well done. Can't wait to see the rest of her :-)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

love the facial expression!!

Kit Lang said...

Lovely - and I like the explanation of your tweaks - thanks for sharing.

Colleen Babcock said...

I still think she looks great Mary Ann. You should be very proud.

PrairiePeasant said...

You certainly appear up to the challenge of this class. I think the head looks fabulous! Can head number 2 be better? ;-)

Rhissanna said...

That photograph idea is really good. I'll have to try that. And yes, it's all down to the eyes, isn't it? They always take a bit of faffing. The drawing and shading on your doll head is pretty amazing. The depth of the eye socket and the dimples. Really beautifully done. Do more! We want to see her finished!

Mrs A. said...

You are doing so well with your doll.She is looking fantastic. Hugs Mrs A.

Grandma Coco said...

If you hold something up to a mirror and look at it there, you get a fresh look at it, too. Before digital cameras, we did that a lot. It's shocking what your left brain adjusts for.