Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Latest doll...

I'm joining up today with The Needle & Thread Network....

My offering is the doll I made for a Show and Tell Challenge over at Cloth Doll Artistry called "Flower Power". We were to make a doll representing a favourite flower.

I decided to portray the humble dandelion.



The plant is very beneficial to bees, moths and butterflies as a source of food.

Even humans can benefit from the plant. The leaves in particular are high in vitamins and minerals...A,C and K...and are also a source of calcium, potassium, iron and manganese. My local grocery store sells organically grown leaves in the salad section and while they are an acquired taste they do make an interesting addition. They are also used in the making of one of my favourite drinks...Dandelion and Burdock:)

The name dandelion is from the French dent-de-lion, meaning "lion's tooth". Dandelions are part of the Asteraceae family and have a complex flower head made up of many individual florets.....

Courtesy of Wikipedia
I decided to call my doll Astera Delion.............






The colours are a bit washed out as I'm the pits at taking pictures.

I have had lots of issues making this doll......but she is finally finished. It was the first time I've used a piece of mohair lamb skin for doll's hair. I won the piece in a giveaway last year and finally used it:) I don't know if it was because the doll's head was so small or if the backing was too stiff but I found using it to be quite challenging. I like the look though and may try to find an alternative.......maybe loose locks rather than the skin. 

I made her body of bone white Kona cotton to represent the white milk sap found in the flower stem. Her underskirt which is made from a small bit of leftover curtain sheer is the flower and her bodice made of wool felt imitates the toothy leaves. The bit of gold thread decoration represents the roots. Her skirt is a piece of coat lining and her sleeves are wired gift ribbon in shades of yellow. Her "scepter" symbolizes the mature flower seed heads.

With every doll that I make I'm finding out something new and a whole set of problems and issues that need to be resolved. Lots of fun!!!


12 comments:

elle said...

uhm, Mary Ann? Where is the dandy lion?

HollyM said...

Oh, I love this doll and her name. The hair is really beautiful!
Interesting facts about the dandelion too. I for one do not battle against them on the lawn. If people would stop spraying we could eat them

Linda said...

She's gorgeous! Love her. My lawn is usually full of dandelions, much to the neighbour's disgust!

elle said...

Okay, she has arrived and she was worh waiting for. What a DOLL! You do exquisite work, Mary Ann.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

oh what an elegant little doll....love her and her name

Sue said...

A beautiful doll Mary Ann with great inspiration, the dandelion! My Grandmother made a salad with it every spring for us as our spring tonic! It does have super nutrition in it! She mad a Pennsylvania Dutch cooked dressing for it made out of eggs, apple vinegar, sugar, bacon and I think flour. Very sweet and sour.....

M-R said...

She's gorgeous, Mary Ann! Wow!

Maureen said...

She is just beautiful! You do such wonderful work.

Susan Being Snippy said...

My favourite flower! When we had a farm my mother often picked the leaves in spring for various foodstuffs - I seem to recall her using them as a herb often with chicken? that was a long time ago, tho. I love the doll, she looks lovely and somewhat frail in a way, which is like the dandilion that doesn't last so long but the roots run deep!

Meredith said...

she's beautiful! love her face..gorgeous!

Rhissanna said...

Oh! I got a close look at her and she's lovely! Yes, the lambswool is a challenge but it looks so lovely and soft on cloth dolls. Her hair colour is very rich and intense, like a dandelion. I also like her coat lining overskirt and the wrapped ribbon sleeves.

Maggie R said...

I Love your doll and I love dandelions.I don't know why people are on a mission to wipe them out... my DH included. If I had my way I would have a yellow lawn:) My gramma use to make dandelion wine.....and give grampa heck when he drank it?!?!?!
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie