Tuesday, April 17, 2012

WIP # 35 - A Finish

Miranda Mufflewort is a tiny little fae that lives in the Fae Wood, which is an imaginary place that I made up to describe the bottom end of my garden. (It's a family thing.) The Wood is full of all kinds of magical beings that can only be seen by those who squint just right........or, perhaps are near sighted.

I've even written a short story or two about the Fae Wood. That was in the day when I was taking Creative Writing at the University of Toronto at night school. It was my "I want to be a writer" stage. That stage soon passed despite the fact that I was told by two of my teachers that I was the new Alice Munro. Growing up in a small Ontario village did pay off after all:) Sadly, I am not a writer by temperament and all those rules of grammar ......eeeek! Worrying about all that just gave me a headache....LOL

Here is my finished Miranda.....

Better hair day:)



I'm going to get my son to take better pictures because mine are always blurry:) Perhaps I'm not squinting enough.

Her colour palette is rust, green and blue. I made the cape out of a blouse that I had that I have never worn. In fact I have no idea why I bought it....???  The cape looks great when you see it on her but in the picture it looks awful. I think I'll make her another one in wool maybe. I found a small basket that might be okay for her to carry. It's a rabbit:) I threw in some faux onions ...
 
I might make another doll like Miranda:) I enjoyed making her but I might rethink how I put the clothes on her form. Sometimes an idea looks good on paper and in your head but not in fabric.

Today I'm joining up with The Needle & Thread Network. Please go over and visit and see all the wonderful creations made by other Canadian bloggers.

18 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

She is stunning!! You are so clever...I simply wouldn't know where to begin. She actually reminds me of a character called Nanny Ogg in the Terry Pratchett discworld novels. She's an elderly, broad minded and slightly naughty witch - I aim to grow into her the older I get :D LOL My husband says I'm halfway there.....
Hugs, LLJan xx

Dolores said...

She is so great. I love her face. I wonder if she has a sister or a brother? Now they would certainly be fun characters - all together.

pegsplace said...

Very nice! What do you do with the dolls that you create?

Patti said...

Miranda looks like she has some very sage advice to give! Wonderful!

Monika Kinner-Whalen / My Sweet Prairie said...

oh my oh my oh my!!!
I love the way each photo revealed more. : ) Oh she is AWESOME! I love her clothing. That's incredible!

Do you sell them? How big is she? Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Thank you so much for linking up to TN&TN so we can see her!

~Monika
in Saskatoon

elle said...

Too cute! Fae Wood. I have That Faerie Place. The thought of skinny faerie legs makes me shudder. But Fae, who cares what kinda legs (leg?) She would certainly be at home in the woods. She may not appreciate it, especially before her hair was tamed, but she is just darling!

Grandma Coco said...

The more I see of your dolls, the more I'm amazed. I'd love to wander around your house. It must be a sight to see....all those creatures! They all have full personalities. Very, very inspiring.

Rhissanna said...

Wow! I know a woman (a very nice lady who gives me free eggs from her pullets, teeny little eggs from teeny little hens) who looks just like that!

What a sweet, adorable face and I love the detail on the clothes. I love her staff (Wand? Medicine Stick?) and it's nice to see one that's the right size for her hand. This is an amazing creation, Mary Ann and you're a star!

(Still going though the Wanna-be-a-writer phase. Watch out it doesn't come back and grab you!)

What Comes Next? said...

what a wonderful mischievous look she has - a real character!

Kit Lang said...

She is lovely! I especially love her vest!

Sheila said...

Awesome , Miranda sure has lots of character , great job!

Simon Purple said...

She's wonderful!

Lisaleh said...

I love her. The basket is perfect!

tongfengdemao said...

I love her! I think the cape looks fine. I want to visit the Fae Wood! As someone who repeatedly cycles through a story writing phase, I would encourage you to keep writing... at least enough to do wonderful dolls like Miranda Mufflewort. You don't need to think about stuff like grammar. The writing part would just be for your working plan. The dolls will tell the stories to others.

Miranda, er Ms. (Fae?) Mufflewort, is looking at me as I write, expectant, wanting to tell me something, I think.

~Faith
Airy Nothing

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Oh my!!! the detail in that doll is fantastic!! I did try to visit you yesterday; but lost my signal; then never got back...thanks for stopping by my blog....glad I came back...

greelyrita said...

Your work leaves me speechless. How amazing!!

Deb Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

She is fabulous Mary Ann! Love her sweet face and you obviously bought your never worn blouse so you'd be able to make the perfect cape for Miranda :O) Can't wait to see her sisters and cousins! Deb

Regina said...

Such a beautiful doll with so much detail - doll making has for me the same drawback as writing: details!!