Tuesday, March 6, 2012

WIP Wednesday #29

I made up the Woodland Elf that I mentioned last Wednesday.......see her made up here ...... but I wasn't very happy with the legs and arms.

I wasn't able to get the size of beads that the pattern asked for so in order to finish the doll  I had to use some large seed beads which were half the size of the required bead. . They were the best fit/shape and the legs and arms went together fairly well using them. I tried other bead styles as I have quite a variety but they weren't working for me.

The little Elf is very cute and she was lots of fun to make but.......well :(



So I decided to see if I could make another type of knee joint for this small doll and I came up with this.....



I think I like it better:)

I also changed the arms but that's a whole other story. I hope the designer doesn't mind but I think that's how change happens......and, to be honest I can never leave a pattern alone and just make it.....I always fiddle about with it until I'm happy.

I love this little doll.....she's such a cute size that fits into your hand. I can see me making a lot more.

I'm linking up today with The Needle & Thread Network ...please go visit and see the work of some very talented Canadian bloggers:)

Take care.

20 comments:

Rhissanna said...

I understand the desire to fiddle with patterns! I can see your point about the bead joint, though. It's cute, but the new joint looks more like a knee.

Michelle V. Alkerton said...

I agree, the new joint looks more like a knee, but ouch I could feel that pin stick. lol She's cute from what I've seen :).
Stay inspired!

elle said...

She is a real sweetie. oye, you almost persuade me to rip up the 'must do' list and start an whole 'other tangent, Mary Ann!

Dolores said...

I'd love to see the whole doll. Will she be ready for St. Patrick's Day?

Ellie said...

I like your new joint, the doll is very very cute! My little girl would adore a little elf like that

Katie said...

My goodness, she is cute! My daughter would love it if I got into doll making!

Sheila said...

Your little elf is really looking great , would also love to see the whole thing , the new knee looks perfect !

What Comes Next? said...

what a cute little doll! I like your new knee - its looks good. Patterns are just a jumping off point to make it our own, so go for it!

Mrs.Pickles said...

what a lovely new knee. Looking forward to seeing the whole doll :)

Regina said...

Patterns and recipes are never followed to the letter in my house, although I rarely have as much success as you with this doll!

felicity said...

Love your little woodland sweetie! Definitely like your second knee version better.

Grandma Coco said...

I like your take on the knee. I think patterns are just starting points. Following one to the letter would just be boring. Good job.

BlackPumpkin said...

Cool!

Dosfishes at Sparkle Days Studios said...

I really like your little knee joint, looks like a true knee. Fun to see you adapt a pattern to your own. xox Corrine

Saturday Sequins said...

I like the new knee -- it's a better fit for the doll, for sure. Adorable! <3

Mrs A. said...

Definetley think your version of the knee jiont looks better. A pure work of love to have made her all by hand sewing. such a sweet looking face too. hugs Mrs A.

Colleen Babcock said...

The new joint works really well Mary Ann. I love it. I've just added your blog to my Favourite Blogs list on my blog. I can't believe that I haven't added it before!

Colleen Babcock said...

The new joint works really well Mary Ann. I love it. I've just added your blog to my Favourite Blogs list on my blog. I can't believe that I haven't added it before!

Béra Dijon said...

Please, have you got a tuto for this new joint which seems perfect?
Amitiés

Rachel said...

Looks great! I have a different pattern from the same designer and found myself modifying it too because I thought it could be better. I actually did something very similar to what you did. Except I added joints where there weren't any.