Wednesday, February 29, 2012

WOYWW # 143 and WIP # 28

What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday and Work In Progress at Needle & Thread

This is my desk this evening. There isn't much on TV tonight so I'm starting to sew a new pattern that I recently got from Gingermelon Dolls. I'm a huge fan of Shelly's designs and I have a couple of her patterns but this is the first time I have made this one.



The little doll is made entirely of felt and is hand sewn. She is very tiny...about 8 inches so this is going to be a challenge:)

I'm making her with some vintage industrial felt that I bought about 30 years ago. I'm testing her with this felt as a sample. If I do a good job I'll make more in wool felt as the pattern suggests.

Here is a picture of the Woodland Elf when she is made up.......I hope mine looks as cute as this:) 

Source

I'm also testing a free cross stitch pattern being developed at the moment by Romona over at Northbrook Stitches. She should have it finalized and posted as a freebie sometime next week. I'm a beginner at cross stitch so it was a learning experience for me and of course I made a few mistakes.....not telling what they are...hee hee. Hey......I learned something I didn't know:)

The chart is based on one of her Jester dolls....Romona like Shelly is another talented dollmaker....and, an amazing needle artist. You should go to her blog by way of the link above ......she has pictures of her thread stash......eeeek !!!! I'm so jealous:)



My first attempt at the chart.
 Well that's all from me but you can be nosy and go visit the Stamping Place and see what everyone else is up to and go to Needle and Thread and see all the Work In Progress of some very talented needle crafters.

Take care:)

17 comments:

jude said...

Loving the look of the doll.Hoping youll have yours finsihed soon for all to see.Happy woyww ,have creative week ahead.
judex10

Peggy said...

I love the little doll sure wish I could sew not my thing anymore hope yours turns out the way you want have a great day

natalie jo said...

Can't wait to see your Woodland Elf all made up...what a cute little creature!

Hands to Work, Hearts to God said...

What a cutie! I am sure yours will be just as nice!

Neil said...

Hi there, I'm a bit behind but wanted to pop my head round the door and say hello. Hoping you have a good and creative rest of the week.
Neil#61

Rhissanna said...

oh my! I'm really looking forward to your take on that cute little felt doll. I love her little dangly legs! The industrial wool felt sounds amazing! Is it soft or stiff?

Annie said...

Will be watching progress with your little doll. I too follow Gingermelon dolls....beautiful little characters on there.
Hugs,
A x

CraftygasheadZo said...

Am sure that doll will be really sweet. Happy Thursday to you, hope you enjoy this week's snoop around the oh so creative spaces & take care. Zo xx 83

elle said...

8 inches would surely be a challenge but she sure is sweet!

Regina said...

Lovely doll, she'll be able to sit on your little chair..... ;)

Princess Judy Palmer said...

What a fun jester. I didn't see your mistakes. I was too busy oogling your talent. That felt doll is sweet. I hope yours comes out well. I bet it will.

sandee said...

Look forward to seeing your version of the doll, and you did a fine job on cross stitching, I gave that up several years ago but still use all my floss on projects! waving from the hills of North Carolina a day late :)

May said...

O my word!!! I just love that dolly, soooo cute, I am sure your's will be just as beautiful Hugs May x x x x

karen said...

That doll is so sweet! I can't wait to see how yours will turn out! Does she have pointy ears? Elves have pointy ears, right?
xoxo Karen #163

Sheena said...

I'd love to be able to sew, the doll is lovely, looking forward to see how yours turns out - I'd be too scared to cut into something I've had for 30 years!
The cross stitching looks fab - I don't see any mistakes!

Sheena
xxx

Shashi Nayagam said...

Can't wait to see yours. Such a cute little doll

Grandma Coco said...

Such a cute little doll!