Wednesday, February 1, 2012

WOYWW # 139 and WIP # 24

I have been dabbling in some embroidery this week. I haven't done any in years and I want to use up this.....


.....the ends of skeins that are left over from past stitching projects that I have saved. I can't seem to get up the nerve to throw them out. I think that may be the influence of my Glaswegian mother who having grown up during the depression in Philadelphia and surviving WW11 in Britain had a horror of waste...."Make do and Mend" was her favourite motto:)

Just so you know I do have a nice bunch of embroidery floss.....


I'm thinking of lurking over at Stitching Fingers and following along with the monthly TAST...Take A Stitch on Tuesday for 2012.......here. They do a new stitch every week and I think I can use up the stray bits on practising the various stitches over the year..... Some of the work that the stitchers do while just practising the various stitches is truly awesome:)

I really love the vintage embroidery patterns that seem to be popping up all over the web. Here is a cute one I did of dancing vegetables that I found while surfing about....


I have no idea what to do with it but I did enjoy stitching it:)

And, here is a sweet freebie from So September called  She Scatters Shamrocks....


.....I have a wee bit more to do on it:)

So that's what's on my desk at the moment.  If you want to see more WOYWW desks go visit The Stamping Ground here and you can find more WIP at The Needle & Thread Network here.

Take care:)



23 comments:

greelyrita said...

What fun to just play a bit. I wish I could do that but I'm feeling so driven of late.

Angelfish said...

I love to see all those colourful threads neatly lined up in rows. Those dancing vegetables would be great on an apron pocket.
Fiona xx #123

JB said...

Am loving your creativity, great stuff! JB x.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

your work and your threads are wonderful....

dianneo said...

I've never done embroidery, but it is beautiful. I have cross-stitched in the past. Last time I picked it up those squares were too tiny for my older eyes!

Stephanie said...

Pretty projects. I used to cross stitch and miss that a bit.

CraftygasheadZo said...

FAb threads and stitching. Hope you enjoy this WOYWW. Zo x 89

fairyrocks said...

Oh, so very pretty, and organized. I think you have just inspired me to organize something today LOL. Thanks :)
Keep smiling and creating I am #132

M-R said...

That floss looks so wonderful organized like that. Great idea to use up the bits on practice stitching!

BumbleVee said...

I used to do embroidery...haven't done much for ages now. However, I do still love to look at the satiny skeins of cotton...sigh... beautiful colours ....love all your organized colours in the tray....

Karen said...

What a coincident as I too have just dug out my old embroidery to try and get some unfinished projects finished!! I used to embroider all the time, but have not picked it up for a few years!!

Lots of lovely projects on your post and I love all the different colour threads, they look so pretty altogether :)

Have a fab WOYWW and a great week, Karen #108

elle said...

Yes, indeed they are lovely. I'm not much for hand embroidery, sew, I wonder what free motion embroidery would look like? Something for me to think about! ;^)

Annie said...

I have a box of threads that match yours exactly :-).....long time since I used mine though :-)
Hugs,
A x

May said...

Your work is stunning, have a great week, Hugs May x x x x

sandee said...

Going to go check out the TAST, I only stitch on my cards but they may have something I can use occassionally, thanks! waving hi from the hills of NC :)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Thanks for stopping by Mary Ann

okienurse said...

I used to embrodier a lot but don't do much now. Love all your examples! I am offering up some blog candy so come leave a comment on my blog and get a chance to win! Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Vickie #90

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Thank you for the heads up on the Needles and Thread blog - I spent a happy time following all the links last week and found a wonderful tutorial on how to make a Cathedral Window pincushion which is featured on my blog this week.
I love your embroidery - you have way more patience than me to attempt it. Perhaps the dancing veggies could go on the front of an apron or something??
Hugs, LLJ 68 xx

jo said...

gorgeous work, love seeing all those threads lined up!Enjoy your week!
Jo x
#143

scrappymo! said...

Those dancing veggies would be cute on a teatowell. Nice job.

Sheena said...

Absolutely beautiful work!
I'm working my way through this weeks WOYWW - I’m slowly getting there!

Sheena
xxx

Monika K. (MySweetPrairie) said...

I'm so glad you are linking up at The Needle and Thread Network!

Love to see embroidery. I just can't get enough of it : )

~Monika

Romona said...

I hope you take the plunge and do the TAST challenge. It's not hard and if you keep the sample small it won't take a lot of time each time. I'm keeping my stitches for a reference, so small is good...;o))) Romona