Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WOYWW # 138 and WIP # 23

Hello everyone. I don't have much on my desk today but I did participate in my first postcard swap this week.

It was an all media swap so anything goes/went as far as materials used. I have only done two other swaps that involved dolls so this was an interesting change. I had no idea what to make.

As my swap partner lives in England I thought about doing something with a "Canadian" theme....sort of:)

The postcard I created was of our robin which is very unlike the robin found in Great Britain. It is called the American Robin and is actually part of the thrush family. As it is the first migratory bird that we see every spring I entitled it "Mr. Robin - The Herald of Spring".

The embroidery pattern is from Sublime Stitching and is based on the artwork of Ryan Berkley. There are four animal characters in the pattern...I want to make Mr. Fox next.


One other element was that we also had to send a postcard from the place where we are currently living.


Hmmmm....I see a definite bird theme going on lately in what I make...hee hee:)

The mermaid I mentioned in my last submission to WOYWW and WIP is still languishing somewhere..... maybe in the Sargasso Sea or maybe in the Bermuda Triangle.

I don't know what to do with her. I may make her into what she originally was meant to be from the original design...a lapel pin.

So that's it for now. If your want to see more WOYWW desks go visit The Stamping Ground here and you can find more WIP at The Needle & Thread Network here.

Take care:)

p.s. Thank you to all of you lovely people who have joined on as followers. I really appreciate it:)

25 comments:

okienurse said...

Nice robin picture! Sorry to hear the mermaid is still MIA! Have a great week and thanks for sharing! Vickie #27

Jaki Morris said...

Lovely card, I love that you can transfer skills across all crafts.
Enjoy hopping around the world this Wednesday
Jakix

Lunch Lady Jan said...

It's all your fault..,. LOLOL! I followed your link to the Needle and Thread Network and got lost in a web of wonderment (and envy!) at all the fantastic fabric crafters out there. So much talent...
Love your birdie boy, he's a bit gorgeous! I think I saw your mermaid swimming up the English Channel.. :D
Hugs, LLJ #45 xx

Laura said...

What a great desk today, Your postcard is so well made it is lovely, It is definitely different from our little robin, which is one of my favourite birds. I also really like bird themes. Have a great Wednesday, Laura

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Now that bird is just too cute!!

May said...

The bird is so cute, love it, such great work fab, have a great week Hugs May x x x x x

Caatje said...

That robin card is amazing! Very beautiful.

famfa said...

One of my neighbours (English) asked if I had seen the robins here. They said they were very unlike the ones we get in the uk. Now I know what they look like thank you. I Hope I won't be disappointed when they're not wearing a dickie bow! Gorgeous work as usual

Lou said...

Brilliant embroidery, fantastic work Hope you have a really good week, Lou #84

Ann B said...

Love your postcard of the robin and the Toronto view as well. Reminds me of my (long ago) visit to Canada, we were staying with my (then) boyfriend's brother in St Thomas but spent a couple of nights in Toronto - hightlights included a trip up the CN tower, boat ride to the islands and a full day in the science museum - brilliant.
ann B
#46

ScrappnBee said...

The idea of a postcard exchange is so cool! Love it! The robin turned out totally cool. Love the jacket! It rocks! Thanks for sharing. Happy WOYWW! -Amanda 36

Beckyt said...

What a fab robin card thanks so much for sharing :)
Becky 56 :)

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Mr. Robin is quite distinguished. Great postcard, your swap partner will be pleased. What a fun exchange. Happy WOYWW!

Julia Dunnit said...

Your recipient will be thrilled, what a great ATC!, I can see you getting into these! As for the mermaid, yes! Release her from the big blue nowhere and show her off on your lapel...she'll be lovely!

Karen said...

That robin card is gorgeous :)

Have a great WOYWW, Luv Karen #80

Twiglet said...

I love your robin - very different to a British robin of course.

Stephanie said...

Wow, that robin card is totally cute! Love it!!

Electra said...

Hi from Alberta, Toronto! I love your robin!

505whimsygirl said...

Your bird is quite dapper and adorable.

Happy WOYWW
Kay
#114

Sheila said...

I love the robin, lucky gal who receives that postcard !

Susan Being Snippy said...

Handsome Robin! I love the way fibre postcards can give a bit of technique experiments, always something new to try out!

Brenda B said...

I think the little mermaid must have swum South to warmer climes, she'll be back in the Spring no doubt! Great pair of postcards, the new owner is going to be pleased.

Hugs
Brenda 99

Peg said...

What a wonderful little postcard!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

lovely embroidery! your swap partner will be delighted i'm sure!
happy WOYWW, and thanks for sharing!
hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS

JB said...

I love your bird. It feels like it's speaking to me. I went to Toronto when I was a toddler, would love to return one day.