Wednesday, January 11, 2012

WOYWW #136 and WIP #21

Today on my desk is a UFO from last summer that I couldn't seem to get really inspired about. It was for a challenge at Cloth Doll Artistry called Under The Sea. We all used the same free pattern from Kat Lees for a mermaid and we were to make a vignette. She isn't very big......about 8 inches.

Obviously I didn't finish her:)


I wanted to make a small wall hanging as I had some fabric that kinda looked like the ocean.....I think I got hung up on the arms....LOL I don't really like them because they seem too heavy for the small torso and they are at an odd angle for a flat piece. I'm going to make new arms.

She also doesn't have any hair yet......I tried out a tassel to see what it looked like. Not bad. So she is temporarily hairless and armless. I have some nice embellishments to make seaweed and stuff and I think I need a few fish too. I'm going to finish her this week.

If you'd like to make a mermaid for yourself too you can find the pattern here.

Also, on my desk are three books about card making......yes....card making:) I finally used up all the points from gift cards I had been given for Christmas and my birthday....
Handmade Paper Pierced Cards

Embroidery on Paper

460 Iris Folded Cards to Make: The Complete Iris Folding Compendium

I borrowed the pics from Amazon because when I took pictures all I was getting was shiny blobs because of the overhead lights glaring off the covers.

I really like this iris folded example.....a little robin....cute:)


Well that's all from me for this Wednesday. For more desks go here....and take a look:) or here for WIP #21.......:)

11 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Once again you have some really interesting work on your desk!! I adore the mermaid! Before I read the text, I looked at the pic closely and I thought that was really her hair, which is fantastic because of all the different colours in it. Please keep it!! I think her arms should be up and out, as if she's treading water..don't know how hard that would be to achieve :D
And after reading your previous posts, I'm not surprised AT ALL by the interest shown in the amazing Russell. He is fantastic and way outshone the other entries on that craft blog. I'd happily give him house room anyday, lol!!
Hugs, LLJ #26 xx

Angelfish said...

Your mermaid looks great with that tassel for hair. Genius! I love the look of the Embroidery on paper book and can't wait to see what it inspires you to make. Do you know when I visited your blog from the list on Monthly Make I had a feeling you were familiar. Now I realise it's from WOYWW!
Fiona xx

My Sweet Prairie said...

Oh wow! Thank you so much for linking. Your blog is such an inspiration. I'm so very impressed being here! ; )Love your work.
~Monika
sewing in Saskatoon

elle said...

oy! This particular hobby interest has been languishing in a corner. Now I'm hearing some thumps and bangs from those dolls who want to be let out! Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Susan Being Snippy said...

Its bin a few years since I made a doll or a teddy, your work is enchanting and since this is my first visit here, I will spend some time reading back in your archives

Mrs A. said...

You must finish off your mermaid and also leave that tassle for her hair it looks super trailing out behind her like that. Thanks for the link to the pattern too. Hugs Mrs A #120

Sheila said...

Very cute mermaid , I like the tassel for her hair looks great , good luck getting her finished and I hope we get to see the finished project next week.

The Crafty Elf said...

She's beautiful! What delicate work you do, wow! I hope you show her all done. I've never tried anything like this something to add to my list of things to do! Thanks for the visit today, Happy WOYWW

Peg said...

What a great wall-hanging, and I think she's just right - after all, you don't want to give her Barbie arms, do you (she wouldn't be able to swim with those skinny things!)

M-R said...

I like your mermaid. Fabulous detail!

Brenda B said...

Very beautiful mermaid, I really like that tassel for her hair, love all the background detail too. Those look like really good books, I love card making, as you're most likely aware!

Hugs
Brenda 103