I started this blog as a repository of doll related blogs/sites, YouTube videos and other stuff that may be helpful to other doll makers and me too:)

I'm new to doll making as such but I have been making and producing hand made crafts all my life. In dollmaking I have found a new avenue for my need to be actively creative.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Cloth Doll Artistry..........

Cloth Doll Artistry is having some fun challenges this quarter.

If you're interested you can join in on Facebook.

I can't really decide which one to do ???

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Free Pattern!!!!!

A for Artistic has a fabulous offer until December 15, 2014.

A free pattern from Susan Barmore of Frowning Francis. I have made her patterns before and they are really so much fun to make.

Go here......A For Artistic...and get your  free pattern for "Santa's Helper"

Source: Frowning Francis

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

New Class

I've just enrolled in another Angela Jarecki online class.  She keeps on coming up with these fabulous ideas and I can't resist.

This new class is called "Madame Mori" and is on Dollstreet Dreamers......

Source: Dollstreet Dreamers
This doll can can hang on the wall or can be used as a puppet or a stand alone doll. I'm not sure what type of doll I will do yet. I usually make more than one head so maybe two dolls are in the works.

Take care:)

Friday, August 1, 2014

A Finish....

I finally finished one of the fairies from the online class I took with Paula McGee:)

This is a picture of Paula's fairy called Tansey Mae....

I didn't have the same kind of supplies that Paula McGee used but that's okay. I improvised and used what I had in my stash. I was positive I had some of those tiny bird nests but I couldn't find them. They'll turn up eventually.

I also didn't make the wings that she gave directions for as they involved a wood burning tool and an open flame but they are kinda interesting. To be honest I was a bit leery about using a flame to burn anything because I burnt my hand a couple of weeks ago...ouch:(  Maybe one day.

Here is a picture of her finished fairy that she made along with us.....a radically different wing style from the original version.  Kinda dark and mysterious :)

I designed my own wings instead and made them similiar to the ones in the original picture. I don't think Paula will mind.

I used some fabric that I had won in a giveaway in 2011 from Fabric Addictions.

The green on the left and the mauve beside it are both iridescent.

I'm not sure of it's composition but I wish I could find more. The colour changes depending on which way you hold it to the light...blue, green  or gold.....perfect fairy wing material.

So here she is.....she looks like an Irish fairy to me...maybe I should call her Shamrock.

She was very nervous about getting her picture taken.

I really enjoyed making her.

Take care:)

Saturday, July 19, 2014


I'm still making little fairies in class with Paula McGee.
 Sneak peek......

I'm also making an Elf/Pixie type doll. The print in the middle is her body fabric. I gathered some fabrics and trims that compliment the print to get some ideas. This will be the biggest doll I've made so far.....35 inches tall!!
Take care:)

Thursday, July 10, 2014

CDA Colour Challenge - Fairy Tale Character - Red Riding Hood

Cloth Doll Artistry Color Block Challenge

So the idea was that you pick a colour chart that was provided...there were 48 charts to choose from in the end. They were in actual fact paint charts mainly from Sherwin Williams. Then you were to pick a Fairy Tale character and create a doll using the colours from the chart you picked. Sounds easy but it really wasn't. Some of the charts were all values of one colour such as all pinks or blues or grays. Then it was deciding on a fairy tale...some of them are pretty grim...no pun intended. I do completely understand that many were morality tales but eeeek. Rather difficult to portray in shades of pink.

In the end I chose this one......

Why did I choose this colour block? Well. I went through all my stash and I had a few bits that matched pretty well to these colours and I had an idea.

The swatch 156/12/0 looked to be sort of a brick red or mordant red maybe. Not the traditional bright red you'd associate with Red Riding Hood but I could totally see it matched with the greens I had.

I did a bit of research about Red Riding Hood before I started. It seems that the earliest version of the story is in French called Le Petit Chaperon Rouge published in 1697 by Charles Perrault.

I think the version we are most familiar with though is that of the Grimm's Fairy Tale called Rotkäppchen or Little Red Cap that was published about 1812.


I wondered where the whole image of the red hooded cape came from so I looked up the word Chaperon.

Chaperon is a term that refers to a hat or a head covering. I Googled and really couldn't find a female version of one but here is an example of a later male style. In a book on fashion history that I have it shows women wearing something similiar but without the long tail. The tail was a later development and is called a Liripipe. It has it's own bizarre fashion history:)

Hmmm...I can sort of see how the whole hooded cape idea came about.

So here is my version of Le Petit Chaperon Rouge.

I didn't make the challenge deadline but that's okay:) For some reason everything that could go wrong went wrong with this doll. It was totally ridiculous. Anyway after much pain and suffering she's done....thank goodness!!

I hope you like her.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Needle sculpting with Sharon Mitchell.......

Sharon Mitchell is doing tutorials on needle sculpting fabric faces on her blog called "SFM Cloth Dolls With Attitude". She is already on part two and next week she will show us how to colour the face.

So if you want lessons from a needle sculpting master go on over to her blog and check it out


Take care:) 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...